Swelling after neutering

Nathanb

Post   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi everyone, we had our silkie/sheltie, merlyn neutered yesterday, obviously he is very quiet and hasn’t been eating his normal amount, but today we have noticed that there is a bit of swelling in the area, which was not evident yesterday? is this normal? Thanks

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:57 pm

I think some swelling may occur - but I have never had a male guinea pig (much less gone through a neuter). There can be complications associated with the neuter (like failing to close the inguinal ring [if I remember right]).

You need to read over https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html It has tips for neuters (flushing the incision daily). You need to be weighing him daily, watching for signs of pain, hand feeding if he is not eating.
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

I would contact your vet if you are worried about the swelling.

JX4

Post   » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:09 am

Some swelling is normal, but if it grows or even looks like a "missed" testicle, you need to take him back to the vet. Our male developed an abscess that the vet had to go back in and remove surgically about a week after the neutering. He did it for free. And it solved the problem.

Nathanb

Post   » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks for the replies and the link, had a good read, swelling doesn’t seem so bad today, and he has his post-op check up first thing tomorrow morning. Plus he is eating and drinking and doing his business, So hopefully vet will be happy with progress.. just get a bit paranoid as have no experience in neutered Guineas, as we have only had him done to live with our females, they really do love each other.

lisam

Post   » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:47 pm

Yes, the swelling usually goes down pretty quickly. I've noticed that some males don't particularly want to expel their poops a day or so after the procedure (maybe it's because of pain), so I make sure I continue to use pain meds for three or four days.

A hematoma can develop pretty soon after surgery. They usually go down in size in a few days. An abscess, however, usually takes time to get big. If you notice a swelling in the neuter area a week or more after, that's most likely an abscess. Also you can often smell pus and maybe even see some oozing out of the site. Abscesses are pretty common after neutering, so I always give at least a week, usually ten days, of an antibiotic. Bactrim works best for abscesses.

JX4

Post   » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:24 pm

I need to make a correction. Our neutered male developed a hematoma, not an abscess. Sorry I got the terminology wrong.