Cloudy Pee?

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:34 pm

I just noticed that one of my piggies (S'more) has cloudy urine, something I have never seen from her before. It is totally opaque and basically looks like milk because it is so cloudy. I know this can be normal, but it seems to be a sudden change. She is 4-5 months old, fed Oxbow young guinea pig pellets (alfalfa based). The urine didn't seem gritty or anything, but I'm concerned by the sudden change. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:56 pm

normal.html

This may be about the time you switch to a timothy pellet.

Pee can vary dramatically in a few hours - it generally depends on what has just been eaten.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Ok, thanks. I gave them grass today, so they were eating slightly differently.

I will switch to Timothy pellets. I am almost done with my bag of alfalfa based ones, so I wasn't planning on getting more, anyway.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:42 pm

I have noticed something else different about S'more: She seems to be drinking a lot more water all of a sudden. Normally, she doesn't drink too much and it is normally her cage mate who I see (and hear!) drinking. Their water bottle isn't usually very drained, either (If I waited until it was totally empty, I would estimate that it'd take around 3-4 days to be empty) but today it has been drained by half in around twelve hours and I have seen S'more drinking a lot!
She has gained weight, 50 grams in the last 2 weeks (I forgot to weigh last week... oops) which I believe is normal at her age (4-5 months) and is around 650 grams. I can feel her spine and ribs a bit, so she doesn't seem to be overweight or anything (although she does weigh 50 grams more than her cagemate). Other stuff (eyes, energy, appetite, etc.) seems normal as well.
She is from a pet store (I know how bad they are now, but I didn't at the time) so she has never really had a good vet check-up or anything. Do I need to take her to a vet? She still seems to have cloudy urine.

Also: Lynx - I have looked at my piggie notes, and I haven't ever noticed cloudy urine after eating grass before. That is the only dietary change I can think of, apart from them having a couple snap peas (as a treat), which they have had before (also with no cloudy pee).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:12 am

Do you ever given them a few romaine leaves? For me, this was a trigger and I got cloudy urine shortly thereafter.

If it is only cloudy, not gritty, I would at this point primarily monitor her and pay attention to diet. Read over the stones page for links to dietary info.
www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

CavyGirl04

Post   » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:40 pm

I don't think they had Romaine. I don't think there's any grit, so I'll keep watching it. I'll hopefully be able to get some timothy pellets soon as well.
The water isn't disappearing at such an alarming rate now (although still faster than normal, it seems) so hopefully it was just a weird thing.