Sick Guinea Pig with Diarrhea

DelilahRose

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Thank you :) I'm so glad I joined the forum. The links have really been helping us out.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:14 pm

Guinea pigs don't store food in their cheeks. She may have a little residual food in her mouth, but she doesn't have any pouches to store food in.

DelilahRose

Post   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Sorry I took so long to update. Delilah is doing so much better. She is happily drinking a lot of water from her bottle. She still won't eat, but of course I still force feed her. Her poops are much less runny. Almost normal. The shape is regular, but they are a bit smaller than usual. She was whining while she pooped, but she hasn't lately, which is good. I got smaller syringes from CVS and they are working great! It is a lot easier to get them in her mouth and she also seems more comfortable with the small syringes. I almost forgot to weigh her! I will go do it after this post. But thanks for all the support. She is doing good.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks for the update. Glad she is doing better.

DelilahRose

Post   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:26 pm

So, she was fine and eating on her own for about a week. The vet told me to take her off meds to see if it will make her want to eat on her own, and it did. Slowly eating, then normal and back to weird eating. She will only eat lettuce now. The vet told me to put her back on medication. She has lost some weight. I have her here at work with me and her fur feels cold. I put a small heater on her on a low setting. How can I check/estimate her temperature with my hand, since I do not have a thermometer??

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:50 pm

You don't need to. They're plenty well insulated, and most prefer cooler temperatures to warmer ones anyway. I'd just make sure she's got a couple of small hideys that will trap her body heat rather than using a heater.

DelilahRose

Post   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Yeah, her hidey hole wouldn't fit in the box I have her in to take her to work. I have the heater placed so it can't heat her entire encasement. She moved from the far corner to in front of the heater, so I'm assuming she likes it. But, I don't like the idea of using the heater either.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Use a cardboard box. Cut the bottom out and some doors in the side, and it will work just fine. Or just clip some fleece to the corners of the cage so she can get underneath that.

DelilahRose

Post   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Okay. I'm sure I can find a box small enough to fit. Thank you so much! :)

Kimera

Post   » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:30 am

Put a cavy cozy inside the box and it will be enough to keep the piggie warm. You can easily make one yourself, it doesn't need to be pretty. A cavy cozy is essentially a sleeping bag made of two layers of fleece with batting between, but even a simple fleece bag may be enough.

DelilahRose

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Thank you for the advice. She has lost weight, so her extra layers of fat and skin aren't what they once were. Tat might be why she seems colder than usual, since she lost the weight at such a rapid pace. I am purchasing critical care to help her out since she is only eating lettuce quite sparingly. Other than that, antibiotics and baby food. She is drinking a lot of water on her own.
My vet said it might help to get vitamin c, but I wasn't there during her visit, so the vet wrote it on a paper. She didn't say what kind of vitamin C. Would it be okay to use vitamin c tablets for humans? It should go the baby food, I'm guessing, as adding anything to their waiter might discourage them drinking regular water. If not human tabs, what kind should I look for until Tuesday when the critical care will arrive?

DelilahRose

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:58 pm

Also, I know that this could be the end for my love, since she is 3 now. I have another baby, Rose. They don't typically get along, but they talk sometimes (without chattering). I have a large cage that has a divider. I had them both on either side at first, but now it's just Delilah's since she wasn't running as much anymore like 6 months ago. Do you think it would be more comforting to have her share the cage (divider included, they have physically fought) with her during her illness? I usually just have their cage corners pressed against each other so they can talk.