Sick Guinea Pig with Diarrhea

DelilahRose

Post   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:44 pm

I am a guinea mom of two guinea pigs, Delilah and Rose. Delilah, my 2 year old cavy, was diagnosed with diarrhea today. The vet gave her antibiotics and I have instructions on force feeding her and etc. I'm very worried and shaken at the thought of losing her... I felt like communicated with other guinea parents would help me get through it, no matter what the outcome. :) Hi, I'm Tyra.

lisam

Post   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:18 pm

It would be a good idea to withhold any veggies or fruit until the diarrhea is gone. I'd also weigh her daily to make sure she's eating enough. Is she eating at all?

Some guinea pigs with diarrhea become dehydrated. If that happens, she might need subcue fluids from the vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:34 pm

Ditto lisam.

And if you haven't already, do read www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:36 pm

You can also syringe Pedilyte (the generic is just as good as the brand name stuff) to her to help with dehydration.

If she's not eating at all, you MUST force feed her. Guinea pigs are wired to need food moving through them at all times, or the stomach acids which they constantly secrete will eat holes in the lining of the stomach, and can also become bloated. A guinea pig that's eating nothing needs 100 cc of Critical Care or pellet slurry for every kilogram it weighs, every day, split into 6-8 servings around the clock. You adjust up or down according to the pig's weight, and down if the pig is eating on its own.

Good luck with her, and let us know how she does.

DelilahRose

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:54 am

She was bloated the day before she could get to the vet and ended up eating on her own and no bloating later. I checked her three times after she began to eat and poop. The third time she was bloated again. The vet has already given me a syringe and told me to force feed her baby food and fluids. I've given her the meds and some baby food earlier. She is very relctuant so I have to take multiple breaks as I try t feed and hydrate her. I'm trying to figure out a schedule for her feeding and drinking. It's so weird trying to do this for her. Trying to understand how often she needs things. She has hay available around the clock. It also breaks my heart. ;'( I last forced food at 10pm and water at 11pm. I hve set alrmes for 3am and 10am. Any tips and comfort would be great right now. Thanks for everything so far.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:25 am

What antibiotic were you prescribed.

Sending good thoughts your way and hoping she pulls through. I know you will do all you can. Don't forget to weigh daily so you know where you are.

DelilahRose

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:22 pm

I'm not positve which is the antibiotic. One is vitamin C. She has Metronidazole every 12 hours, and enrofloxacin once a day. Both crushed and mixed with baby food. She is fighting the syringe less now, thankfully. So I am able to administer more food/water at a time now. I still must take frequent breaks when she is too irritated and annoyed. She seems to be doing well. And thank you, I do need to remember to weigh her daily.

DelilahRose

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:27 pm

I have hay available to her. As far as I can tell, she has yet to eat it, but progress is being made.
It is hard to administer the medication within the same hour and sometimes a few hours as when she is too annoyed it mostly gets on her face. So if she is too unwilling, I leave her be for a while to get more into her instead of onto her. I swaddle her when I give her the syringe but she can still move her head. (I'm probably not doing it right.) I've tried to find video tutorials on swaddling guinea pigs, but most people can get their pigs to eat through syringe without swaddling. I feel awful that I can't keep a good schedule with her, but I know that I'm trying my best. Trying not to beat myself up too much about it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:14 pm

Metronidazole is an antiparasitic, the antibiotic is enrofloxacin (Baytril).

DelilahRose

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:22 pm

Ohhh, okay. My mom took her. She said the vet gave Vitamin C, I guess not. Thanks.

DelilahRose

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:34 pm

She is eagerly receiving water, but unhappy about it being given by syringe. I have her at work with me right now, so her water bottle isn't here. She will probably willingly drink from her bottle when we get home. I will try later and let you all know. It took three hours to force feed her full dosage with baby food. Hopefully the length of time doesn't cause too much of a probably with her getting better. I'm going to shop for a smaller and longer syringe after work so it can go right to her throat. I saw a few force feeding cavy videos last night. I think she still has some food in her cheeks. The more she ingests the better, especially with the medication in it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:53 pm

You are doing great! Just keep it up!

Some good tips for getting meds in her:
www.guinealynx.info/tips.html