URI

KatieDoseyJet

Post   » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:24 pm

To cut a long story short

Baby piggy (indeed 2 but one is ok) got from petstore (I know - it was meant to be a good one) at 9 weeks - but weighed 300g realised 2 days later had severe URI (both did - this one was less ill - still eating the other very very ill). Both got Baytril for 10 days, critical care, decongestant, and eye drops. Gave other piggies the infection too - my quarantine was not good enough!

Small one was OK (so far - touch wood), One in question was OK for a week then became ill again when we bonded the herd (after a health check).

7 days Baytril, and nebulising with F10 for 2 1/2 weeks ish (we started nebulising after 3 days as the baytril seemed to have no effect - the nebulising had an instant effect and she was better in days). again decongestant and Critical care. Guts shut down so ended up on Metochlopromide and zantac. 2 weeks after antibiotics stopped, 5 days after nebulising stopped and 5 days after metochlop and zantac stopped we have a gummy eye (same one which went gummy with each URI). She is however this time still quite lively. Not a hay poke, no ulceration vet thinks viral URI or hay allergy? We debated more baytril but with the need for gut stimulants too its not a great option so we have eye drops and will nebulise for 5 days. If she is still ill we will admit her to put her under for a swab and xray. they are reluctant to use anything but baytril and say if baytril doesn't work its not bacterial *sigh*.

Any thoughts - I don't want her guts to shut down again, I want her to be OK. I thought the swab may lead to a more effective antibiotic or a longer course - whichever is right - but they won't swab without sedation. someone mentioned antibiotics via nebuliser - is that worth looking into. What do we do next?

Sorry this is so disjointed - its been 2 months now so that is a very potted version.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:28 pm

For starters, I'd find another vet. in the first place, Baytril isn't the first choice for young pigs because it can stunt their growth. Second, if the vet thinks Baytril will kill all kinds of bacteria, he needs a remedial course in bacteriology. It's very effective against many organisms, but not all, and if the infection is fungal, not only will it not help, it will make it worse.

Nebulized antibiotics can work, and don't have the same adverse effects on the GI tract. I've had pigs on nebulized gentamycin several times, sometimes with a steroid added if the problems have been severe. But if the Baytril hasn't helped, and if the gentamycin doesn't, it's probably time to consider that it may be viral or fungal.

Has she been treated with an antibiotic eye preparation? Maybe it's an eye problem, not a URI at all.

KatieDoseyJet

Post   » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi thank you yes, I mentioned the stunted growth, told that had been disproven.

I mentioned trying doxycycline- told no you can't get the dose.

She has had 3 courses of antibiotic eye drops now. It may very well be an eye problem but she was snotty one time and her 'sister' absolutely had a URI - as did my older 2.

My gut is the antibiotic course is either too short or we need something else.

My boar appears to be wheezing tonight, I'm tempted to put them all in carriers tomorrow and drop them off ask that they all be swabbed to work out what on earth is going on. I had wondered if it may be fungal too.

And yes I need a new vet but I'm stuck on a small island.

KatieDoseyJet

Post   » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Oh I was also told if we switched from baytril we would make the bacteria resistant.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Carpenter's Exotic Animal Formulary has a dose for doxycycline.

Some posters on British sites mention conjunctivitis. Perhaps you could suggest that to your vet and get an ophthalmic ointment for the eye.

KatieDoseyJet

Post   » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:23 pm

I've been given isathal eye ointment is that he sort of thing?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:45 pm

I'm not familiar with it (have never had to use eye ointments on my guinea pigs). If that's what your vet provided, I'd give it a try and see if it helps.

Ointments stay in the eye longer than drops, which is a good thing.

It appears Fusidic acid is the active ingredient. Here's some general info that might help (the page mentions dogs):
https://www.drugs.com/vet/isathal-eye-gel-can.html