Somewhat unusual introduction circumstance

pigwidgeon

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:34 pm

I've owned guinea pigs before but I've never had to bond or introduce them. The pigs I adopted came together. I've read all the literature on this site and others about intros, and I feel fairly confident I'd know what to do. However, I have a somewhat unusual circumstance right now and I thought I would run it by you guys first.

I'm currently pigless and looking to adopt. I'm in Hawaii, so we don't have a lot of choices. I am arranging to adopt a solo female guinea pig on craigslist (I was browsing the listings and she was so sweet I couldn't resist) and get her a (female or neutered male) friend from the humane society (we have no other rescues here). Since I have a C&C cage already built, I was wondering if I should adopt both and intro them in neutral territory, then hopefully move them into the cage since it doesn't smell like any other piggies? Craiglist pig comes with a pet store cage, and I have some extra grids for temporary housing for the friend should I have to quarantine.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:32 pm

Here's the bible on introductions: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html. Always introduce in a neutral territory, and give them PLENTY of time to adjust before you put them in the cage.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:19 am

Thank you!

Update: both pigs are safely in my home and being quarantined in separate rooms. Ricky (neutered male) is in my room in a 2x4 aC&C cage while Lucy is in the living room in the pet store cage she came with. I feel so badly for her and want to build a temporary C&C cage with extra grids I have so she has more room. My question is, will a new cage be unnecessarily stressful for her? It will only be for the quarantine period. Afterward hopefully she and Ricky can live together in my C&C cage. If not, i’ll work something out. I just feel sorry for her in that little pet store cage though it is the cage from her previous owners and thus is familiar to her, so I hesitate to remove her from it aside from floor time. Any advice would be much appreciated!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:35 am

She'll survive a small cage until she can be introduced to Ricky.