Urine and uterus infection

J_dun2

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:56 am

Hi, I just came back from the vet and my guinea pig was diagnosed with an uterus and a urine infection, and the vet suggested to do an operation as it looked a serious infection in the ultrasound. Has anyone done this operation and can tell me the results after such operation was done? As my guinea pig is still young (11 months) and I am scared that she will not handle the operation and die afterwards. Can someone please help me?

Phantomhorse

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:06 am

So they want to spay her? What are her symptoms, and how did they diagnose her?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Did they do xrays? Ditto Phantomhorse.

Find out how many surgeries the vet has done. Part of outcome depends on the skill of the vet, post operative care, general current health of the guinea pig.

That there is a urine infection implies the possibility of a uti or stones. I take it these were ruled out?

A uterus infection (pyometra) is indeed serious and a spay is generally done.

How healthy is she right now? Have you been weighing her daily to ensure she is eating? What signs were you seeing that you saw a vet?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:38 pm

And is this an exotic vet, or a small animal vet? You need an exotic vet for surgery on a guinea pig.

J_dun2

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:27 am

On Sunday, she was very normal, she is a guinea pig full of energy and she eats all the day. On Monday, she woke up very sad, did not move from her bad and crying all the time. We thought she ate a little bit too much the day before and was bloated, however, I decided to take her to the vet when I noticed some blood in her litter.

The vet did an ultrasound and needed to consult with an exotic vet to take some opinions on how would the vet proceed. But according to him, the ultrasound showed both an infection in the uterus and a urine infection. And the blood that was coming out of her was a lot, so I think its a very serious infection. The vet gave her an injection and she stopped crying, and ate a little bit of lettuce and cucumber. Nothing else, this morning the food, hay and water was untouched..but I gave her some lettuce which she ate. Today I need to go to the vet again for another injection and he will tell me how to proceed with the operation.

The problem is she is a small guinea pig and I am scared that she will not handle the operation and die afterwards. I don't want to let her undergo the stress of the operation and having her die a few days later. I wish to know what is the probability that the operation will be a successful one.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:05 am

Talk with your vet about the probability of a recovery.

Also, you must hand feed right now.

Read over:
handfeeding.html
surgery.html
postop.html

I would be concerned if there is excessive blood loss. You would likely see weakness if there was.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Unfortunately, if it is as severe as you think it is you can try to treat with antibiotics, but the longer you wait to try that the weaker she will get, and the less of a chance there is that she will make it.