Hooting rarely, but healthy?

BlueBird1199

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:54 am

So my piggie Percy hoots on the rare occasion while sleeping. Like he's literally only ever done it 2-3 times the entire time I've had him, which has been several months now. He's only ever done it while sleeping, and if I wake him up he does a tiny sneeze and it's gone. He still acts the same, eats and sleeps and poops and everything. There are no other symptoms AT ALL, which is why I'm curious as to wether or not this could be a sign of something wrong or just a tiny bit of a stuffed nose while he sleeps, like humans get sometimes, and there's no cause for alarm.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:34 am

Unless you are seeing other clear signs he might have a heart condition, it likely means nothing.
www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:33 am

If he gives a tiny sneeze and it's gone, don't worry about it. Heart hooting is more persistent.

Do watch for any sign of URI, but he's probably fine. How old is he?

https://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html

BlueBird1199

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:49 am

He's a little over a year old! A family friend originally got him for her kids as a baby but they stopped taking care of him so she gave him to me. I think I got him sometime either at the end July or at the beginning of august, I can't remember exactly.

BlueBird1199

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:17 pm

So I made a post awhile ago about my pig Percy hooting, and he was doing it rarely and there were no other symptoms of ANYTHING, just hooting in his sleep until he finally sneezed hard enough to clear his throat/nose. Well the hooting has gotten more persistent, he did it about 3 times just in October.

Now the “episodes” last for over an hour, and he can’t seem to clear his nose/throat no matter if he guzzles water or sneezes a bunch. Eventually it stops but I definitely think it’s getting worse.

He still isn’t showing any other signs that something could be wrong though, his eyes and nose aren’t leaky or gooey, he eats and drinks fine, he plays with his toys and it’s energetic, I can’t find a reason why he’s hooting so much. I haven’t taken him to a vet yet, only because my mom wants to be 100% sure somethings wrong before spending a bunch of money on vet bills.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Well, for one, start weighing him daily right now. It's a good indicator that there may be something wrong, if he starts losing weight.

Note if he eats or drinks before the hooting. Reread the links posted above.
www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

Phantomhorse

Post   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:13 am

Sounds to me like the lungs or sinus may be involved. If they last that long would you be able to get a video of it? Most exotic vet offices will allow you to email the vet. The vet will tell you they can not treat without seeing them, but they will be able to tell you whether you need to come in or not, which should be enough proof for your family.