did i overdose my piggie on ivermectin??

faithbennett

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:10 pm

with all the translations i had to do from mg to ml and pound to kilo, i think i got a bit confused. i diluted a dose of it for a 250 lb animal into 22 cc water, then gave my guinea pig 1 ml out of a 1 cc syringe. will he be okay??

faithbennett

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:15 pm

guys omg i'm sorry for anyone freaking out i'm so relieved the translations were wrong, but instead of 1 ml i game him 0.1 lol. now my problem is, will that be enough to help the mites? it was a bit more than a drop. he weighs 2.6 pounds.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:00 pm

It sounds about right. You'll have to repeat the treatments three more times, seven days apart.

faithbennett

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:18 pm

ok thank you, i'm gonna keep a close eye on him for 24 hours and see how everything goes. so far, the only thing that has changed is him sleeping a bit more. he is still eating, drinking, etc.

faithbennett

Post   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:25 pm

i need help please!! my guinea has mites and has been fine for the past two days (when i gave him a dose of ivermectin) and tonight he's furiously scratching and running around the cage again. even laying completely still he's in pain, squeaking quietly. is this normal? did i not give him enough ivermectin? someone please help

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:00 pm

How serious are the mites? A veterinarian can provide pain medication if this is a bad infestation. A guinea pig in severe pain may not eat. I would see a vet soon.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 pm

It takes four doses of ivermectin, given seven days apart, to kill all the mites on a pig. It's not uncommon for them to itch more after the first dose.

But to know whether you gave him enough, we'd have to know how much your pig weighs, what the strength and brand of the ivermectin is, how much you gave him, and how you administered it.

It's possible that he has a bad enough infestation that he'll need a steroid shot to calm things down.

faithbennett

Post   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:11 pm

he is eating, has been all day. i don't think it's too severe, he only has like 3 scabs. he weighs 2.6 lbs, the ivermectin was from tractor supply co. 1.87, i diluted it in 22 cc water and gave him about 0.7-0.1 (i couldn't tell exactly). i'm just hoping its not going to get worse from here.

faithbennett

Post   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:26 pm

sorry i meant 0.07, not 0.7

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:58 pm

You just get one thread per pig in the medical forum. I merged your threads.

faithbennett

Post   » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:45 am

oh alright thank you. i'm new here, and also a new pig owner so i'm not really sure what to do