parasite passed through urethra?

MKay

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:13 pm

Basil is a six and a half year old boar, developed a Uri early this year, has dropped from 1200ish down to 804g, stopped eating hay and nuggets. Teeth and mouth are fine, some small spurs developing due to low hay consumption but they are being monitored.
Down to eating only grass and dandelions on his own, hand feeding steeped nuggets and oxbow CC, upto 90g p day, supplementing fluid intake with 20ml juice also.
URI has been persistent, may be heart may be vets prescribing single week courses of AB's and clearing the infection.
Using Calpol as pain relief for uri and arthritis.

Wondered if weight loss could be parasidic nematode "Fluke" as this years wet weather has meant exceptional numbers. Treated with Fasinex.

So, whilst hand feeding him this morning he squeeked in pain and then partially passed what looks like a parasite out of his urethra, I have not heard of a parasite being passed from the bladder?

I will add a photo next, hopefully someone has knowledge on the subject.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:07 pm

I'm very skeptical of a parasite in the bladder, although I suppose it's possible if it somehow made its way up the urethra. Do post a picture, as it will give us a much better idea of what's going on.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Yes, more likely the digestive tract.

You can send your picture to me if it is nice and clear:

I can post it tomorrow.

MKay

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:10 am

Considering I manually (carefully) drew the offending item from his urethra by hand, which drew out his shaft as it removed I can assure you of it's location. I am simply at a loss for what it might be.

On a good note basil has started eating a little on his own and is fighting me hand feeding him which is a good sign.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:41 am

It's most likely a sperm rod. If you search that term in the medical forum, you will turn up several topics. Some may have photos.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:43 am

Ditto PinkRufus.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:42 am

You guys called it! When I saw the pictures (before I logged in here and read her description of pulling it out of the penis), I knew right off what it was. So, no, this is not a parasite.

Some great pics, by the way! Here you go:

MKay

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Good evening all, thank you for your help, I have a fresh query.

Basil is eating well and at a consistent weight but the quantity is not allowing him to consume enough protein to rebuild muscle mass.
I wanted to increase his dietary protein by adding a vegan protein supplement consisting of pea and rice protein. My aim would be to increase his hard ration DP from 17% to 19/20%.

Is this a suitable product or does the rice protein make it un suitable?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:36 pm

At his age, if he's not losing, I wouldn't push to make him gain weight. Weight loss in seniors is perfectly normal. Generally, they'll lose a little, plateau for a while, lose a little more, rinse and repeat.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Meanwhile, if you want to do some research on your own regarding dietary info, check the links on this page:
https://www.guinealynx.info/nutrition_links.html

Most specifically, Nutrient Requirements of Laboratory Animals, Fourth Revised Edition, 1995.
https://www.nap.edu/read/4758/chapter/1

MKay

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:14 am

Thank you. The weight loss could indeed by age related but it started when the he got the initial URI.
He dropped from 1100+ to 825 over six months before we began treating for HF, he is now hovering around 970g. So this could be his new weight range or it could be because he is not consuming sufficient protein to rebuild muscle mass(he has a portly gut but his spine is very light on muscle).

Am I correct that even 1g of rice protein a day would be unsuitable for a GP's digestive system?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:48 pm

I can't answer your question for you.

That is indeed a huge amount of weight loss. Evaluate condition using a vet's guidelines on this page:
www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html