Bloat? Constipation?

kitgal421

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:44 pm

I noticed my guinea pig Weasley's belly looked a tad swollen yesterday, but he was still eating, drinking, and pooping just fine so I just thought I was being paranoid.

Today, his stomach is VERY swollen. His poops are tiny and it's clear he is having trouble pooping. I pushed around a bit back there and helped him push out a very large round stool so I'm hoping that will provide him with some relief tonight.

We are seeing the vet tomorrow (she was unfortunately off today!), but I was wondering if there is anything I should be doing now at home to help him. He is still eating like a champ, but is there anything in particular that I should or shouldn't be giving him?

He's an older boar (around 6 1/2-7 years) and I've really noticed his age the last few months as his hearing seems to going and his coat gets a bit shabbier. I'm terrified about what the vet will say tomorrow. I'm so mad at myself for not catching it earlier. I love this little guy so much.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:20 pm

I'd get some infant simethicone and give him 1/4 of a infant's dose. And if you've got a something that vibrates (vibrator, pillow, toothbrush, etc), then put small pad on it and put him on the pad.

Are you checking his anal sac regularly and cleaning it when necessary?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:30 pm

Yes, and do read the associated links here:
emergency.html#bloat

kitgal421

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:46 pm

Yes, I've been checking his anal sack about every hour or so to make sure it's clear. I'll try and find some simethicone at the store. Not sure I have anything that vibrates, but I'll look around and see what I can find. I'll take a look at that thread too.

Thank you both for your advice.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:55 pm

I didn't mean now, or hourly. Once a day is enough while he's having problems, and maybe every couple of days if he's not.

kitgal421

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:57 pm

Oh, sorry. Yes, usually I check him and my other pigs over very thoroughly (including sacks and weighing) about once a week.

kitgal421

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Unfortunately, his bloating turned out to be worst case scenario. They did an x-ray and found no mass, but the vet suspected fluid from something that ruptured. They did an ultrasound and took a sample and found it was blood. Cytology revealed it was more than likely some form of cancer. The best would be able to do was make him comfortable for a few days, but he would undoubtedly swell again with blood. I made the difficult decision to have him humanely euthanized. I was with him the entire time and held his paw. I'm sorry if this message is a bit incoherent. I'm in shock and I can't stop crying. I knew it was coming, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.

JX4

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:40 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. Even if it's the right decision it still hurts so much.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:08 pm

I'm so sorry. It's such a hard decision to have to make, even when you know it's the right thing to do.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:48 pm

I am so sorry for you, kitgal421. You have our sympathy.