Walked on dexter, jaw problem please help!

Poordexter

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Unfortunately while my skinny pig dexter was out exercising the other day he crawled under blanket without me knowing and I walked on him, he has been to vet and the vet thinks that a cartilage connecting his bottom jaw may be torn and he didn’t think X-ray was needed and he would recover, he has lost a lot of weight and we have been feeding him at least 60 cc of critical care everyday and lots of water by syringe, his weight is still very low . When he’s sitting alone he keeps making a crunching noise with his teeth, very disturbing noise, almost as if crushing salt with a spoon, dentist checked teeth and says are fine, could his jaw be dislocated? Can anyone relate? I feel like he’s not gonna get better and don’t know what to do, his personality was fine first wk after accident but has been declining over the past week, also his stools are soft and greenish yellow in color, is this normal with CC? Please help, any answers at all as this has been extremely difficult!!!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:10 pm

I'm sorry.

CC does affect the color and characteristic of the stools.

He DOES need an x-ray, and I'd run, not walk, to a good exotic vet and get one. How else can the vet know whether his jaw is broken or not.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Soft greenish stools may be the special cecal feces that are reingested by guinea pigs (they would be smelly, too).

Ditto bpatters advice!!