Help Please!!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:09 pm

Here you go:

When you wrote:
... the white mass in the left lung is what the vet thinks - a tumor or scarring.
and sent this picture, we looked on the left, not the right:

Svilena55

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:21 pm

Thank you. It is diagnosed as the left lung (pig's left lung) but when we look at it is our right.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:15 pm

There's no way to tell from the x-ray what it is. But a repeat x-ray in a few weeks should help with the diagnosis. If the problem is scarring, it likely won't change in size. If it's a tumor, it will.

Svilena55

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:36 pm

Thank you. When do you think the repeat x ray needs to happen? The vet said within a week after the nebulizing solution is given? Do you think that this time frame is too soon?

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:45 pm

The confusion about the radiograph is that there are no markers on the radiograph indicating what side is which and there is also no indication of what type of view it is: ventrodorsal or dorsoventral.

If you were treating a respiratory infection, I would probably push the radiographs out to 2 weeks, but since there is a specific questionable opacity in the lung field, he may just want to stay on top of it and take views sooner rather than later. That being said, there is a real possibility that he may want to take more later on as well if there is no initial change. So if cost is a concern, I would probably try 2 weeks instead of 1 as there may be a more marked change then if it is going to change.

Svilena55

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:03 pm

Thank you. Yes, I think 2 weeks might be better as well for comparison purposes. And, yes treating respiratory infection for now so maybe two weeks would be better since that is the time frame for the nebulizer anyway. And, from your experience lung tumors always grow, correct? They don't stay the same for a while? I guess, I am trying to prepare myself for the range of unknowns that are out there regarding on what is going on with her.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:10 pm

Tumors can sometimes grow very slowly, sometimes very quickly, but they do grow.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:14 pm

It really depends on what type of tumor it is, if it is a tumor. Some malignant pulmonary tumors are more aggressive than others.

Svilena55

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:16 pm

Also, have you ever seen any respiratory build up in only one lung but not in the other? That's what the vet said it's rair - he said he is leaning more towards tumor because respiratory usually is shown in both lungs rather than mostly in one. But I guess maybe there are always exceptions.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:38 pm

I have cared for patients with pneumonia that have one lung that is worse than the other, but both lungs were affected. One lung field may have more change on ultrasound than the other. One lung may sound more harsh upon auscultation than the other. Pulmonary abscesses that I have seen usually affect both lungs, albeit with varied severity between the two.

Svilena55

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:15 pm

Yeah, that is what I am afraid of that pneumonia affects both lungs.... Ahhhh, thank you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:05 pm

Clint The Cuy, the original pics she sent me may have had that data. They were huge and the xray itself was small in comparison and in the center. I am on a different computer and cannot easily view the originals.

Hoping this is not a tumor.