Son leaving for military - need good home for 2 adorable male guinea pigs

lizoufan

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:33 pm

My son has 2 adorable male guinea pigs (Sarge & Bam Bam). He is joining the military & can't take them with him, & I myself am moving to Phoenix and can't keep them for him. I would love to find them a good home. They are spoiled and well taken care of. I would like to find them a great home where they will not be mistreated in any way. They would be free to the right home along with cages, food & bedding, etc. Do you know where we could find them a good home?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:11 pm

First off, please do NOT offer them for free. That's a recipe for disaster unless you know the new owner very well.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 12&t=69095

Do you have any pictures of them, or could you take some? Pics always help generate interest, even if they're cruddy ones from an old phone.

lizoufan

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:50 pm

I am trying to remove this because after getting my first response, I decided that I just couldn't let them go. They may have been my son's guinea pigs, but I have grown too attached to them. Thank you for your advice. I am going to keep my piggies. :)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:03 pm

They're addicting, aren't they? Glad you're keeping them!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Good for you, and good luck on the move to Phoenix!

lizoufan

Post   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:22 pm

Thank you all! :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:40 pm

This is wonderful news. You're making the best and right decision and far and away the safest one for them.

Moving long-distance with guinea pigs is surprisingly easy. It's not a big deal. When it's time to head to Phoenix, let us know and we can help with tips, tricks and techniques. We've had plenty of long-distance moves on this board.

Thanks for the update, and for your decision.

lizoufan

Post   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Thank you so much! I appreciate that. I figured I would just put them in the back seat in their current cages with their food, water, toys & houses. So they won't be disturbed too much. We will just drive straight through so we don't have to worry about hotels or anything, & we will just get drive through food because I would not want to leave them in the vehicle or anything like that. It is just a 16 hour drive. We will give them plenty of love along the way. :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:46 pm

"It is just a 16 hour drive"

Spoken like a true Southwesterner!! :-)

Your plan is good. Don't put water bottles in the cage, though. They won't drink when the vehicle is in motion, and the vibration from the drive will make them leak all over the place.

Keep them hydrated with cold, wet greens and fruits. Leaf lettuces (ribs have a lot of water) are good. Small amounts of fruits like watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew are good. Cucumber is great but in small amounts; it can be a gas producer.

Offer them water bottles when you stop to pee and let them drink if they want then.

Put a bunch of hay under the houses. They'll burrow in it and bunker down.

They don't like high-pitched sounds, but generally are fine with lower pitches and vibrations. They will growl if a semi passes you. No high-pitched singers or violin concertos on your sound system, please. But they're fine with rap. :-)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 pm

And don't leave them in the car when it is hot if you stop. Heat can be really deadly. See if you can bring along a small carrier to move them to an air conditioned space if needed.