Barley: Ambassador of Love in training

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:32 pm

Barley likes our maintenance guys. He has had a busy few weeks with getting a bath and partial nail trim one week and meeting new friends the next week. The little fellow that was such a picky eater when I first got him that he spit out his first taste of carrot now eats everything! He will even chomp away on the chewable vitamin C our vet recommends. Punkin always thought those were a game to see how far he could spit them out. He loves getting packages. His last one was pellets and hay.

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:35 pm

Barley continues to receiver and charm his visitors. How such a wiggleworm can lay placidly in a basket bringing joy to those stroking and petting him is beyond me. He is a very happy little guy and the only thing of late he has disapproved of has been nail trimming attempts and the spinach in his salad mix. The small red-eyed, brown fellow does not like baby spinach so I get to set next to him with a bowl of greens hand feeding him and eating the baby spinach myself.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:10 am

He's such a doll!!

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:22 am

It has been a while hasn't it. The little guy, at 2 1/2 lbs he is a little guy, had a great Christmas. He has acquired an adopted Daddy who showered him with goodies. He loves his hidey and does not spend all his time it it. The first night he slept in it was a really cold one and the next morning I found him in there with his little red teddy bear.

The one sad thing in his life is one of his most beloved friends has developed the mental issues that comes with aging. She knows she loves him but no longer remembers his name all the time. He does react to being referred to as "the little animal" in a positive manner though. He knows who she is and she still appreciates his love.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:03 am

Aw. It's so sweet that he can be the little ray of animal sunshine for people who need it.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:23 am

So glad he's a real love ambassador, coping well with memory issues of the ones he loves.

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:20 am

Punkin was a real master at sharing love and the little guy had big paws to fill. He is developing a feel for when to be extra still and gentle. He really likes to sniff peoples hands!

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Barely is still active and has many friends. On a sad note on of his best friends lost her fight with ALS late last summer. He loved it when she came to see him and permitted her to rub his nose. He is still making friends and someone he reacted the most vocally for was someone that didn't like animals! He missed seeing her for an entire week one time and then when she walked in the door my quiet little boy squeaked more than I have ever heard him squeak. He loves fresh air and a gentle breeze.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:45 pm

Aw. I'm so glad he's still making lives a little sunnier!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:40 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss, both.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:01 pm

He sounds like a very special piggy and so does Punkin. Here we have dogs, cats, even wild life do what Barley is doing but have never heard of a guinea pig doing it here in Australia. So glad he is enjoying life and making friends every day.

It always amazes me how animals can sense when they need to be gentle and not move around. It's like they have a sixth sense. Shame we don't have it too.

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:26 pm

The little guy who has always been so quiet verbally has finally wheeked in more than a level above a barely audible squeek! He made a new friend and goes out of his way to get her attention. My boy is a flirt! He doesn't even wheek when he is hungry or his bottle is empty, he expects his staff to know what he needs when he needs it. Even the delivery people that come in here to leave packages on a regular basis check on him every time they show up.