Gidgit bear and bacon bits

Gidgi-bits

Post   » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:38 pm

They're training me well haha. Got new fleeces today :) so those are in the wash, I'm excited to get them ready. Hopefully my sewing machine holds up

Gidgi-bits

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:28 pm

We had an.. uh... Interesting vet visit. I'm not impressed with the vet we saw today at all quite honestly.

First when we got there, they said we didn't have an appointment (we did), so we waited around an hour for them to squeeze us in. Because of the short notice I didn't get to see my favorite exotic vet. We took gidgit out of the travel carrier and he did a quick physical exam and listened to his heart rate. Didn't check teeth, didn't seem concerned by anything I'd said.

He basically tried to persuade us not to do the neuter. Said they don't need antibiotics after surgery, and they don't recommend ever doing these surgeries on small animals, although he will do it if we really insist. My normal vet would have had much different thoughts on that I'm sure, he is all about neutering and spaying, anything that helps animal overpopulation even in "pocket pets"

So anyway, we raised concern about a possible UTI due to gidgits odor and large amounts of urine. Gidgit doesn't make noise so I'm not sure we would notice if he has pain urinating. Vet said it's unlikely because gidgit is a male. Asked about the hooting, he said since there's no visible signs of URI it's unlikely to be anything but smaller airways.

Either way, I feel very uncomfortable allowing that practice to do anything more for my pets unless I can see my usual doctor. We may get a second opinion still about the UTI possibly. In general I feel that SOMETHING is wrong with gidgit, I just don't know what. Bacon is healthy as can be as far as I can tell, but something feels very wrong with gidgit. All I can do is wait til Monday to call other vets and hope nothing else happens.

Otherwise I think we've decided to add another boar or two to our little family and hope for the best, preparing ourselves for the possibility of 3 separate cages.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:39 pm

I'm actually with the vet. All surgery on these little guys are dangerous and most vets will not do it unless a medical condition. I do how ever agree with you and get second opinion. Only YOU know Gidgit bear the best!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:09 pm

Surgery depends on the skill and experience of a good vet. There are always risks. But many people DO have great vets who know how to do a neuter.

I am most concerned that he brushed off the possibility of a UTI. An odor is a clear sign there is bacteria. It could be stones, still, if the extra urination was caused by the stones and the excess urination was partially causing the bacterial growth/odor.

I would definitely not see this vet again. The signs and information in the guide generally reflect the experiences of many people. A good diagnostic vet is very valuable.
uti.html
stones.html

Gidgi-bits

Post   » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:49 pm

Reading both of those links now, thanks to both of you for the input :) I do wonder about stones or at least sludge. I've seen some pretty cloudy, powdery dried pees on the fleece every now and then. Cut back on carrots and fruit and it seemed to help, but it's always a possibility with these guys. And I'll be calling a different vet tomorrow.

I'm going tomorrow to see about a boar that was on Craigslist (getting my spare cage set up for quarantine just in case) He is around 1 1/2 and they say he's very sweet, but their child doesn't take care of him. I'll never understand people.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:28 pm

Neither carrots nor fruit is high in calcium. You might want to check out the chart and sort on calcium:
chart.html