Niko 2 1/2 yr old sow blood in urine

hbee

Post   » Thu May 11, 2017 11:34 pm

Updates on Niko my now 4-year-old female guinea pig - The skin infections/mites have gone away and I bow down to the Coconut Oil magic - I use it on her all the time and she loves it and it keeps her skin from getting itchy. We have had much suffering through the passing of sludge and some small stones. I finally took her to the vet and she is now on antibiotic Baytril and a probiotic benebac plus the Metacam for pain. She is eating her hay and veggies and drinking water. She is still screeching out in pain when she has a bowel movement....vet said if I found her to still be painful in a week we can put her on Tramadol. I was surprised that this is prescribed for piggies - has anyone had experience with this med?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu May 11, 2017 11:51 pm

Yes, it's prescribed for pigs, but I'd want to know what's causing the pain. In some pigs stones can recur within days, and that's not really a situation that will resolve itself. Has she had an x-ray to check for bladder stones?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 11, 2017 11:51 pm

I have not used it but several members here have. You can do a search for other people's experiences with it.

hbee

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:29 pm

Niko has not had any stones to speak of but her urine is very cloudy and I got a sample today when I weighed her in the bread pan. I want to take this to the vet for cytology. Is it best to store in the fridge? I will be heading over there first thing tomorrow morning which is in about 10 hours. She is still painful when I palpate her bladder but she has been fairly active (witnessed some popcorning and racing around her cage a bit, made me so happy!) She is eating most of her pellets, hay and fresh lettuce, orange slice at night and cucumber during the day. She is hiding under her blanket a bit but I think that is because I had to run the AC and it's close to her cage. She seems to have resolved whatever issue she had from falling last year thank goodness, she is a little wobbly but can navigate her cage well enough and is alert and curious!

hbee

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Also she is now 945 grams so she has put on some weight!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:42 am

Yes, the refrigerator should work. Glad to hear she has put on some weight!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:07 pm

Excellent news. Please let us know what the vet sees in her urine.

hbee

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:34 pm

Niko has been to the vet every couple of weeks following a seizure. The symptoms were running around in a small circle, walking with an unsteady gait, head bobbing, falling over and labored breathing. She was rushed to my vet for after-hours care and she was given fluids and we did a lead test just in case since she chews on the bars of her cage every day. Her symptoms had resolved by the time she was seen, but we have kept a close watch on her. The vet said that she must have had some kind of neurological episode and could not explain why or how based on testing.

ON another note, Niko has been seen for the last couple of months due to calcium sludge in her bladder - she has had blood work that confirmed a high calcium level. I have been very careful about what i am feeding her but I am at a loss. Is there such a thing as a special diet for guinea pigs suseptible to high calcium? I have been double filtering my water first through a Brita faucet filter and then through a zero water filter kept in the fridge. She is still painful to have a bowel movement or to urinate but I have her on Metacam and it does seem to take the edge off. She isn't as cheerful as I would like and hides a bit in her little fleece tunnel but she is eating her pellets, lettuce, and veggies and comes out daily to take in hay and water. The last visit to the vet they gave her a topical treatment for mites due to her itching and losing hair on her side (again). They told me that the mites happened because her body is under stress and they aren't sure what is next. I am worried. We are going to the vet in 1/2 hour for her second treatment for the mites. I don't want to do another sonogram and xray but I fear I must do so. Just wanted the community to know how she is progressing and seek any comfort and/or advice.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:53 pm

Some pigs are just prone to bladder sludge/stones, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. You can reduce the amount of dietary calcium, but that's not a guarantee. Some pigs will form stones less than week after stone removal surgery.

What exactly do you feed her? What kind of pellets and how many? What kind of hay? Which veggies, and how much of each?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:28 pm

If the mites are recurring, you can also do multiple treatments yourself to get rid of them.

See: www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

You might also want to look over https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... p?f=3&t=21 with info on interstitial cystitis (if you haven't already checked it).

hbee

Post   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:28 pm

She is eating Oxbow Essentials adult guinea pig pellets, timothy hay from small pet select, daily leaf lettuce with cucumbers and sometimes a small tomato. I try to get a citrus fruit in there too since she won't do the vitamin C tablets. Sometimes she gets different veggies like yellow or orange peppers - she doesn't like the green or red. The vet put her on Trimeth sulfa antibiotic 2x a day .4 ml. Also added Tramadol 2x per day keeping her on the Metacam at .1 ml once a day. Follow up via telephone this Friday.

hbee

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:29 am

Niko is continuing to have pain with elimination - I cannot tell if it is with pooping or peeing or both = the other day the screaming was in short bursts every second for about 15 seconds with at about 15 min intervals. This happens frequently but then there is like an hour or two before it happens again. She isn't eating her pellets, but is eating veggies and drinking water. Her urine is smelling extremely foul, not fishy just a really bad smell. Her whole cage and her body smell like it too. Also I am noticing that when I pick her up and support her bum, there is pee on my hand. I am thinking she is becoming incontinent. Sometimes she has pink urine sometimes its clear - right now I have her on Tramadol 2x a day 15ml, .01ml Metacam and keeping her bum wiped with cold pressed coconut oil. She gets a salad a day that is green leaf lettuce, sprig of coriander, slice of cucumber, slice of green pepper and chopped celery. 1 slice of orange a day for vit. C. She is 5 years old. She is active sometimes other times she sits hunched over with her fur standing on end. I don't know what to do and this is months now that this is going on.