Head tilt - possible stroke?

adorolecavie

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:03 am

I took Dory in this morning and it turns out the lump is just a bit of reaction at the injection site where the vet gave her antibiotics on Sunday. Yay!

The vet is fairly sure that the original episode was a stroke - she said that it may happen again in the future but that it is not guaranteed.

Since Dory has started eating fairly normally (pellets, hay, wider variety of veggies and not just lettuce) yesterday and this am (she even wheeked for veggies this morning), and her weight is slowly going back up, I've decided to put the girls back together today as they've been separate for almost a week now. Their cages have been next to each other but I don't want to wait any longer. Right now they are bickering, a bit of teeth chattering and chasing but they knock it off to eat something and then start up again. So I'm gonna sit and watch them for the next few hours just to make sure their little arguments don't turn into a fight. I'm guessing that it's normal and they need to reestablish their bond/hierarchy so I am going to leave them be as long as they don't hurt each other.

We'll go back to the vet's in a week to check that the hematoma/swelling has gone down some and fingers crossed that this is the last of it! I feel so lucky, I was sure on Sunday morning that this was bad news for Dory, but she seems to be out of the woods now!

Thanks again for your kinds wishes and support!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:19 am

I hope all goes well!

adorolecavie

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:42 am

Great news! Dory is doing so much better - the lump seems to be a granuloma, a little bit of reaction at the site of injection of the meds the vet gave her on the first day. We'll keep it monitored but as long as it stays the same or gets smaller, the vet says not to worry about that.

I took her in once on Saturday for the lump, and back yesterday for another check-in with the original vet who saw her. She was very happy and mildly shocked to see Dory doing so well, especially after the way she had seen her that Sunday morning. She says it was most probably a stroke and to keep a close eye out for signs of further strokes, but that she otherwise looks great, all things considered.

I was wondering if there is anything I can give her to help prevent further strokes? Something homeopathic that may help, or at least won't do any harm.

Thanks again for all the support!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:08 am

Not that I know of. Good food, some exercise, clean bedding. Regular high quality care.
healthycavy.html