Niko 2 1/2 yr old sow blood in urine

hbee

Post   » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:06 am

Niko is still walking around like a drunk little guinea pig. Sometimes she will move her head around in circles when I am trying to feed her lettuce and it's like she can't navigate her cage. Sometimes she just stumbles and falls to the side when she's walking. Going to the vet tomorrow morning :'(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:22 pm

Still hoping this somehow resolves! Let us know what the vet thinks.

hbee

Post   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:26 pm

Niko's vet visit went better than expected. She was thoroughly examined and observed for any breaks or spinal cord damage and was given the diagnosis of head trauma/possible spinal cord injury. He said he has seen guinea pigs do this before and they just need anti-inflammatory to keep the swelling down while they recover. Niko today seems almost completely normal. She is drinking and eating her hay, pellets and veggies. She is wheeking when I open the fridge and rustle plastic bags and is up and about and pretty steady walking as well. I am so glad she is okay! She's been through the wringer!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:55 pm

Do post updates! I hope she makes a full recovery.

hbee

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:28 pm

hbee

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:48 pm

Niko is chewing at her sides and back and the bald spots are now covered with scabs. Where her skin is pink she has little red marks. I am not sure if I am dealing with a fungal condition or parasites. Any thoughts? She is back in the 1000 range as for weight, eating all of her hay and veggies and pellets and drinking - she's still a little off kilter but doing much better from her fall....

hbee

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:49 pm

I noticed some little tiny black bits in her fur that look like black pepper - could those be a mite of some kind?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:03 pm

Could be flea debris. I would treat for mites if she is biting at her skin.

www.guinealynx.info/.html
www.guinealynx.info/_ivermectin.html

Would you like me to add your pics permanently to your thread for future readers?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:06 pm

I'd definitely treat with ivermectin

The easiest stuff to use is the Durvet .5% pour-on for cattle. It's available at some feed stores and at Amazon for roughly $20.

hbee

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Lynx: I would like you to add my pics for future readers, anything I can do to help other piggies!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:29 pm

Will do then!

hbee

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:42 pm

Desperate!!!! I bought some ivermectin pour on for cattle which is 5mg/ml - according to the chart I found on this site Niko needs .07 cc - how do I know how much that is with the syringe I have? It is one used for oral with 0.1 as the starting number, where would the .07 be on this thing? I am no good at math. I cannot afford to take her to the vet and this is getting really bad really fast, she is now missing half her fur and her skin is redder today. she is just sitting in the corner of her cage all puffed up with all the coconut oil on her fur and skin....HELP!