Bloated Guinea Pig

iLena

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:17 pm

Hi, i have one male piggy and he is about 5 years old. 2 days ago i gave him cherry tomatoes and he ate quite a lot about 6 tomatoes. Suddenly, yesterday he was so quite and loss his appetite. He still eating hay, pellet, and some veggie but not as much as usual. I took him to vet today and the doctor said he is bloated because of the sour tomato and she gave him a medication for bloated and some vitamins including b complex and vitamin C. however, there are only few numbers of people have guinea pigs in Indonesia so i am not really sure about the vet. what can i do to help him? Please help me

This is my new account, please reply me here. Thank you

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:22 pm

The treatment sounds reasonable.

What exactly is his regular diet like? What kind of pellets, and how many? Which veggies, and how many of each?

As you've learned, it's definitely best not to overdo a new food. Always, always, always start with a small amount and work up to a larger one.

iLena

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Thank you for replying

I always start with timothy hay in the morning and pellets in the afternoon, fresh veggies ( cucumber, lettuce, baby corn, baby carrot) in the evening.But i never give him tomato before and he ate around 6 pieces, he has really big appetite. is tomato can cause gastric to piggy?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 pm

If you give too much of any new food at one time, it can cause gastric problems. My pigs eat tomato every day, but I started them on very small pieces, and worked up to about 1/6 of a small-to-medium sized tomato every day.

iLena

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:58 pm

What can i do now to help him? Is there anything that i can do to reduce the gastric?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:30 pm

The vet gave him the appropriate meds.

Is he eating normally now? Pooping?

iLena

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:56 pm

Yes he still pooping and peeing normally but his appetite hasn't back to normal. Is it necessary to replace the timothy hay to Oxbow critical care? Thank you

afdani1984

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:46 pm

You don't want to replace hay. He should have access to that 24/7. But if he's not eating, you need to start handfeeding.

iLena

Post   » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:57 am

Thank you so much for replying

So i should provide timothy hay to him anytime? how about pellet? He should be okay right as long as he still eat and pooping? Thanks

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:40 am

Always have high quality timothy (or another grass hay) available. Weigh daily to ensure your guinea pig is eating enough.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

iLena

Post   » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:25 pm

My piggy has a bit diarrhea this evening. the vet said it is normal because the food will push down the gas in his stomach. Is it true?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:28 pm

What do you mean by diarrhea? Diairrhea is very liquid, and often smelly. Mushy poop is not the same thing as diarrhea.

And yes, a pig can have mushy poop after a motility drug like your pig had, but if it's full-out diarrhea, it's an emergency and he needs treatment.