Guinea Pig losing weight steadily!!! Help!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Ditto. Critical Care has occasionally caused loose-ish stool at our house, but you need to keep her weight up. Start with some probiotics, and do what bpatters suggests with vegetables. It's much more likely to be a residual sensitivity from the antibiotics.

How's her weight doing?

rrocks

Post   » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:46 pm

Brownbear's continues to lose weight. She's lost 26 grams within the past week. I will look into probiotics. Any suggestions for a good probiotic?

Thanks for the support everyone!

Robby

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:15 am

You can get Bene-Bac for rodents at Amazon, Valley Vet, and maybe at local pet or feed stores.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:44 pm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F0W2D ... us+pet+gel

Also consider this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001BM1Q ... ble+powder

Probios mixes with water (syringe it to her) and smells like evaporated milk. We've had two pigs to absolutely love it and guzzle it like crazy. We've also had a couple to outright hate it, too. It might be worth a try, especially if she doesn't like Bene-bac.

rrocks

Post   » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:34 pm

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to update you on Brownbear's status. After a 20 day course of Metronidazole, Proviable, and Bene-bac, her diarrhea seems to finally have subsided!

She however, continues to loose weight. She still is eating veggies, hay, pellets, and I handfeed her critical care 3x a day.

She went back to the vet today for a follow-up visit and the vet recommended that it might be that her GI might be having trouble digesting her food and therefore absorbing nutrients. She gave me some pancreatic enzymes (powder form) that I will give to her in her critical care.

Has anyone ever used digestive enzymes with their Cavy?

Thanks for any help!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:57 am

I am unfamiliar with this product (does it have a name?). I am sorry she is still losing weight and sure hope it helps!

How much weight has she lost?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:04 am

I am sorry she is still losing weight. Has she had an ultrasound or X-ray done? Glad Brownbear's diarrhea has cleared up. Maybe now she can put on weight. Make sure she gets plenty of water.

rrocks

Post   » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:20 pm

Brownbear has lost approx. 200 grams over the last 3 months. She has had xrays and a blood -draw with no extraordinary results. They say the blood draw indicates no metabolic issues and the xrays (about 10 views) show nothing significant. I am at a loss as to what to do. I've taken her to 2 different exotic vets in the area; both not sure what is going on.

Thanks for any help.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:47 am

Thyroid? Cannoli had loose stools from time to time, otherwise seemed healthy (although a bit anxious all the time) and ate a ton, yet still lost weight. Did they check for thyroid - I think it's T4 - with the last blood draw?

I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:50 am

That is a huge amount of weight. I am so sorry she is having these difficulties.

I had posted a link to www.guinealynx.info/.html Assuming you read it, did you see any signs of possible malocclusion? Have you been able to stabilize her weight at any point? Does she continue to lose weight in the most recent couple of weeks? What does she weigh now? The xrays, were any dental xrays?

rrocks

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:21 pm

She now weighs about 850 grams. The xrays did include dental xrays and they found nothing significant.

I'm really sad, because if she continues to lose weight at this rate, I don't think she will make it past Xmas. I'm not sure what to do. I love this guinea pig. I don't think I'm ready to lose her.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:03 am

Sorry to hear about your pigs continued weight loss despite the various vet visits. It looks like you and your vet have been thorough.

I too had a sow that continued to lose weight which my vets (from 2 different clinics as I wanted a 2nd opinion) and despite x-rays etc were unable to pin point the problem.

Not sure if you have ruled out thyroid as Pooksied has mentioned. For my sow, I suspected either issues with her liver as she was eating well or her adrenal gland which my vet claimed that adrenal disease (e.e cushings) was not really prevalent in pigs.

In the end, I keep her going - she was 770g but dropped over time to 630g for close to 2 years with additional feedings of critical care twice a day and into which I added herbal supplements for liver and the adrenal gland. At least I manage to stabilise did her weight and the loss in weight did happen more gradually.

She had been losing 10-15g every 2-3 days. Her finally passed away earlier this year and she was about 6 to 6.5 yrs old.

Hang in there and to keep your pig's weight up, add in a supplemental feed or 2 a day of critical care.

All the best and keep us posted on how she's doing.