Hazel's medical thread

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri May 06, 2016 9:55 am

I don't remember the name, but for vibration, I use the little paddle looking thing made to be put under a baby's mattress. So far the 2 pigs I've used it on have tolerated it, if not actually enjoyed it. It causes Fuzz to poop like crazy so be prepared. (Funny Fact: After I'd used it on Fuzz several times, she reached the point where I couldn't hold her without her pooping. *I* reached the point where I always keep a hand cupped under her butt no matter what else is under her; especially when moving from her cage to my chair and back!)

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri May 06, 2016 10:26 am

When we were hand feeding Jessie for 5 years she would get windy a lot so we would massage her tummy with our hand and a battery operated toothbrush. She loved it and would often go to sleep.

Zaphy

Post   » Fri May 20, 2016 7:49 pm

I just wanted to put in an update for Hazel. She's been pretty good with the current cycle (she has chronic diarrhea, and we've been managing by putting her on rotating probiotics- Bene-Bac, Probios powder, and poop soup), and she's currently on her longest probiotic-free, diarrhea-free streak yet! She had poop soup 10 days ago today and has yet to have soft stool again, and her poops are even actually ovular right now- which hasn't happened... ever, I think! She is also notably happier, way less bite-y and whiney. I think we might have finally hit on a way to manage her condition, whatever it is!

Thank you everyone for the advice and help!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri May 20, 2016 7:51 pm

Wayyy Cool!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 20, 2016 10:41 pm

I hope things stabilize permanently!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat May 21, 2016 2:24 am

Way to go Hazel! Hoping things continue to improve! And Cudos to you for hanging in there and not giving up!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat May 21, 2016 5:25 pm

Excellent news. Carry on, and don't get frustrated if the softish stuff returns. It may from time to time, but hopefully not often and hopefully not for very long.

Zaphy

Post   » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:04 pm

I wanted to update on Hazel. She's been doing really, really well! Every once in a blue moon now she'll have slightly soft stool, but it will clear up on its own pretty much the next day. I haven't had to give her probiotics at all in a couple months! She's a happy, boisterous little pig and has become quite social with me. Her weight has stabilized around 650g and I am very proud of how far she's come!

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:38 pm

Zaphy, thank's for the update. I'm glad Hazel is doing well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:28 pm

Super! Thanks for the update!

Zaphy

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:20 pm

hmmm. The last few days, I've found Hazel hunched and poofed up in the cage. Recap for those who don't wish to reread: Hazel has some sort of mystery chronic GI issue her whole lifetime that causes her to have soft stool every now and again, which I've been able to manage with diet control and various probiotics.

When I found her like that the first day, I gave her some simethicone- since her poop was fine, I thought she might have some mild gas that might have been causing her discomfort. The second day she was still puffed up when I found her in the cage, and this time I noticed a bit of soft stool so I gave her some ProBios powder hoping that would help.

Today would be the third day- again, still puffed up, a little more this time, hunched, eyes squinting, slightly heavy breathing, the whole shebang. Now her poop is firm again, but teardrop-shaped and different colors in sections. Weight is stable and she passes the skin pinch test for dehydration. The soonest the vet can see her is 6 days from now, unfortunately :/ So I gave her a Critical Care feeding with the thought that she might have stopped eating yesterday when her stool was loose and started down the path of GI stasis- her condition flares up so often that I don't bother separating her to track food/water intake as it's never impacted her appetite before. She took the CC well (25cc without having to force it) so we'll see I suppose.

I hate having to wait for appointments :( especially when she's looking so painful in the cage. She's still behaving fine when I pick her up and there are no other symptoms that I can see or feel, so hopefully she's not at death's door. And of course this happens when I'm kid/housesitting for a friend across town, so I've only been stopping by my place once a day to feed/check on the pigs and I can't help thinking that I might have been able to help her more or catch this sooner if I weren't. I'm taking her back with me in a quarantine cage tonight so I can keep a closer eye on her and continue with the CC feedings if need be, but it's farther from the emergency vet too if that becomes a necessity... ugh. Plus if she gets better she's the worst of my pigs socially so reintroductions are probably going to be a nightmare D: poor thing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 pm

I am glad you are so observant. I only wish your vet was available now. Does she seem at all bloated? Do you have any pain medication you can offer her?