possible urine scald

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:35 am

It's not just diet. It's also the pig. And, as Lynx says, the pellets and the water.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Lynx & bpatters:I have Kms pellets. For 4 pigs a day, i only give 1/2 cup. I also have 3 different water bottles on the two different levels.

I'll be giving her some water, then. She just hates drinking from a syringe. It's always a battle.

I know it can be the pig, but...i'm hoping that's not the case.

How bad is it to see calcium deposits in their pee?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Supposedly if they are powdery and not gritty, it's not as much of a problem. I think part of it depends on whether or not the guinea pig is prone to stones.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:23 pm

Well, it was gritty... : ( so, not a happy piggy mom.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Try offering her some unflavored Pedialyte (infants' electrolyte solution). Many pigs love this stuff and will readily slurp 10, 20, 30 cc's out of a syringe at one time.

Is she a fairly active pig? If not, if you can possibly get her to move around a little more, it will help. Easier said than done, I know, but it'll help her pee sludge out before it can coalesce into a stone.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:35 pm

Piggy floor time. We are doing floor time Saturday, Sunday, Wednesdays, and sometimes Friday.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:36 pm

Also, excuse my SO in the picture. He wasn't aware I was taking pictures(I didn't exactly tell him).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:11 pm

That should help. The more moving around, the better.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:18 pm

She is looking better and better. She finishes up her meds on the 6th(last full day of meds). I am so happy, I have not(knock on wood) seen any calcium deposits in her pee, and she has been happier, popcorning more, and she's actually lost a little bit of weight(she was a little overweight; she's still plump, but she's sleeker, and just looks healthier).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:26 pm

Excellent. Carry on.

meganmarie

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:44 pm

Question I thought of last night: Should I carry on with the probiotic for about 2 more days, just to make sure she's regular? Or is that going over the top?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:15 pm

Keep it going imo. Probiotics do no harm and may help complete the stabilization of her GI (if that makes any sense).