Fuzzbutt's Medical

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:08 pm

We both know it's those "specials" that need to be used. I can't see a difference no matter how hard I try. Am I right in thinking that I really shouldn't be seeing many of them at all, since the pigs are supposed to eat them? I've seen the pigs hunch over and apparently grab one, I just don't see *it*. But, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen Fuzz do it. Also, come to think of it, I almost never see her laying down in any position but stretched out. Curling up/over hurts maybe? Arthritis?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:17 am

If she's stretched out, in my experience she's likely not uncomfortable. If she prefers stretched-out to curled-up, that could be, at least in part, due to arthritis.

Bear in mind that arthritis, and how painful it is, is highly variable by individual animal (human included). You can have a pig with minimal arthritis on x-ray who needs more pain relief to be comfortable than another pig whose x-ray is much worse, but who isn't as uncomfortable. I don't completely agree with the idea that since they're so small, by the time it shows up on x-ray they're in agony. That's way too one-size-fits-all for me.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:15 pm

LOL! Thanks, Talishan, that's comforting.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:57 am

Just a note to remind myself in case she does it again: I heard Fuzz actually squeak today several times. She sounded like a little mouse. No one else was near her; she was on her feet in a corner, totally still. I watched her for a few minutes, then continued cleaning the cage. Geez, my paranoid mind is thinking stones. She shouldn't be having a problem with those, although she does get cilantro every day. Otherwise, her diet consists of only leaf lettuce and carrots, perhaps a very small piece of fruit once a week.

"1/23/2016, 2:23 pm
Talishan
Keep an eye (well, ear) out. You're not being paranoid; that's a sign of stones or UTI. Not necessarily, of course! But just monitor."

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:38 am

Cilantro's like romaine -- it can cause excess urinary calcium in some pigs. I don't feed it to mine at all.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:39 pm

I know, but other than pellets, she doesn't have any other Vit C source available to her. She won't eat Oxbow or human Vit C, except liquid form, and I'm having some challenges finding one that's reasonable with the sugar content.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:14 am

Leaf lettuce and carrots (plus Oxbow pellets; unfortunately they don't like KM's) is what ours get. No other regular supplementation and (touch wood) we haven't had problems yet.

If she really needs supplemental C, if it were me I wouldn't worry about sugar content. They need such a small amount that in my opinion if they need it, the benefit from the C outweighs the harm from sugar.

There's one out there (can't find it now, of course) that might as well be molasses. Needless to say the pigs love it. It's something like 500 mg/mL, though, so you're giving a tenth of a mL. In my experience that's not enough to cause GI upset in a pig that's not otherwise susceptible to it. (A pig that's had a stasis/bloat episode will be a different story.)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:32 pm

Thank you! That's a relief to me. Fuzz has arthritis and can't tolerate Metacam (unlike Peek who is also arthritic and LOVES the stuff) so I tend to baby her. Well, she IS the baby, only 2 yrs and a month. I've handled her since she was 2 or 3 days old. Her normal diet is leaf lettuce and carrots, maybe once a week she gets a tiny piece of fruit. She LOVES KMS pellets. I suppose I should ask THEM this question, but YOU are here, heeheehee: Do you know the shelf life of their pellets? (Asking mostly for the Vit C in it)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:32 pm

About nine months, I think.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:48 pm

Thanks, bpatters. I will ask them next time I order, but I do appreciate the info now. I think 20# lasts me 3 or 4 months. I need to go back and check my file to be sure, but that sounds about right. I know, I was probably feeding too much. I've cut way back. Still feeding Fuzz's & Peek's cage too much because of dietary and age issues, but I've even cut theirs back. What I give them is all gone within 12 hours and they're still wheekin happy when it's time to put more down. They only get pellets at night, when I'm not available to put fresh hay down.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:17 pm

I don't want to be a bummer, but: I can testify that some pigs will produce sludge and/or stones on diets so low in calcium you'd swear it should be impossible. Some of them just DO. So don't let your convictions overrule the evidence you're seeing, if you are seeing things that indicate stones.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks, AldenM1. Fuzz is my mystery baby. Can't give her any other veggies because they cause really soft and very smelly poos. Can't tell if she has really bad arthritis or just some arthritis, without new x-rays (coming soon). Can't give her Metacam or she goes downhill fast. Vet who took full body and head x-rays said she had bloat. GL experts say they can see GAS, just not Bloat. I trust GL more, hahahaha! I'll occasionally put her on the vibrating pad if I see a drop in poo count in the cage. If she produces some quickly, Peek get the pad. Unfortunately, (or fortunately depending,) Fuzz produces lots every time I hold her. I'm always finding them on the fleece pad, in my hands, or on the floor after I've walked with her. :o/ So if she's NOT producing, I can tell pretty quickly. (Not so much with the others, darn it.)

Is there anyway to tell (other than actual diagnoses of scurvy) if a pig is low on Vit C?