possible urine scald

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:35 pm

I haven't checked my own thread in a while, and whenever i don't, they always explode, haha. Sorry, guys! But i wanted to post here because Gingers toe is swollen and she's limping on it...? She's never had bumble foot, but her middle toe, on her right foot, is almost twice the size of the same toe on the other foot. It happened a few days ago, i called my local rescue to talk to the owner(she's a friend) and she suggested metacam for a few days(she also said it sounds like a broken toe.). I just wanted to get your input. Her toe is swollen, but only on the top knuckle(right below her toenail. I can feel a hard mass that almost feels like bone that is sticking out sideways(not through the skin, but...i don't know. it's knobby on the sides of her toe). That's all it is. I'll send pictures when my boyfriend gets home to help take them. It was red, but its a normal skin color now. She is no longer limping, but she isn't moving around as much and will lift her foot up and kind of hold it against herself for about 2 seconds every now and then. She is still on baytril, and today i took her off metacam.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:45 pm

The rescue also said she thinks is a facture. I forgot to mention i've been doing epsom salt soaks, too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:06 pm

Good about the Epsom salt soaks. I was going to suggest that.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Thank you. 4 times a day for 10 minutes.(the soaks, i mean)

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Also, LS in AK, you vanished! haha, I've not seen you around recently! I'm glad you decided to post on my thread!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:51 am

We are all glad LS is back. :-)

Be very careful with epsom salts. If piggy scratches an eye or grooms her face and gets any of the salt in her eye, it's extremely painful and can cause serious eye damage. Just be very careful, and epsom soaks can do a lot of good.

If it were me I'd restart her Metacam.

Post a pic when you can. If the foot is now normal color, that's good.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:04 am

Aw, thanks for the kind words *blushes*

Sorry to hear Ginger-pig seems to have broken her toe (owie!) I would be interested in seeing pics, and agree that pain meds would probably help more than hurt at this point.

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:17 am

Regular, normal, cute Ginger foot.

Not normal, messed up, sad-mommy foot

Excuse my boyfriends hands. He just got done welding.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:04 am

Well, it is definitely swollen. Poor Ginger-pig :(

Do you think, perhaps, that she could have caught or stubbed her foot on something in the pen?

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:10 am

Yes, i do. I use a Cube for their hay rack. It is bent in an L shape, with coroplast closing the open sides of the hay rack. The girls jump in it all of the time. I'm thinking that would be the biggest way for her to get hurt or fracture something.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:21 pm

Perhaps you are doing so already, but primarily I would keep my eye on it for signs of infection. If it were infected, it would likely get redder and feel warmer to the touch than the other toes. It might be more tender/painful to touch too.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:17 pm

My sow Zoe slipped and banged her foot jumping up into her floor time cage. I saw it happen. I didn't notice her limping but her toe nail went black and her toe was slightly swollen. I took her to the vet and they did an X-ray. The bones in her toe were slightly out of alignment. Her vet call it a subluxation of the toe.

She was given Metacam for 14 days but I discontinued it after 5 due to softer stools and the fact it really didn't seem to make a difference. She never did show any sign of discomfort.

If it doesn't get better I would think about getting an X-ray. My vet was concerned about the possibility of a tumor.

I am attaching a picture of Zoe's injured toe.

viewtopic.php?t=68906&postdays=0&postor ... &start=100