Foster chronicles of the 7 kinds.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:36 pm

On April 4th I had a lot of emotions going through my mind. I was leaving work with the knowledge that our new foster pigs were still not at our house, the owners hadn't called yet from their 3 hour one way trip to the city to drop them off. 6 piggies, a adult female, male and their 4 babies born March 25.

While waiting for the foster pigs, I got word of my grandmother taking a huge turn for the worse health wise. I had enough time to build the cage, toss some food and accept them from their old owners before I was on the road.

The last week has been a blur. Travelling, trying to get organized, vet trips. Oi!

I want to be able to have a place for the next few months to post photos, giggles, frustrations and so on with the new fosters, because 6 pigs ended up being 7, a young female from the two adults first litter and the other 6. Both the young female and adult female have been with the male all this time and are on pregnancy watch.

Best part, mites. Yup. I'm trying to figure out how to treat them all (babies are all around 200gs not 340gs) because the mother needs treatment, though there is no open scratches or sores, she has major hair loss and tons of scratching. Dr. Dell and I are sure its mites. I told her (to save money) I'll treat at home (gods knows I've done that a million and one times with past fosters and adopted pigs). So there is my first frustration.

Well lets get some photos started.

First the babies. We will start with Sunshine:

IMG_9501 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

IMG_9495 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

The shy but wonderful Sweetie Bell:

IMG_9484 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

IMG_9486 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

Manly Houdini, who already has his furever home waiting for him.

IMG_9441 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

IMG_9439 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

Finally the last of the current babies, Oliver. He's a naughty boy and out of 30 photos these two are the worst and best of all the photos. As you can see, he's giving me stink eye, well that's all the litter man gave me. He also tricks is siblings, nips and is an all around terror. But you must all agree, he's adorable!

IMG_9422 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

IMG_9427 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

Now we move on to the older pigs. Lets start with Bill, aka Big Daddy. Funny story, My partner and I argued that Bill was bigger than Reko. Now I know my Reko and he's one of the manliest neutered boars one will meet. Thus I had faith (and knowledge of his weigh charts) to say that Reko may not be as long as Bill is, but when it boiled down to it he out weighed Bill hands down. My partner said Bill was just too big to be smaller. Weighing in: Reko 1251gs Bill: 1049gs Reko and I win that round. LOL!

IMG_9397 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

IMG_9396 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

Finally we move onto the older daughter who is on pregnancy watch. My partner was a bit upset that he didn't get to name any of the pigs yet, so he named her Princess Peach, Peach for short.

IMG_9449 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

IMG_9454 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

IMG_9455 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

This finally leaves us with the mother, who is nameless at the moment, we tend to call her mama or big mama.

IMG_9461 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

IMG_9469 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

Sadly, her beautiful fur is being scratched away with the mites. You can see in these two photos how bad its thinned.

IMG_9476 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

IMG_9472 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

A close up of the orange side:
IMG_9473 by canadiancomforts, on Flickr

Right now everyone is just happily making tons of messes, eating, popcorning and relaxing in our bedroom. My only issue is the 5:30 am 7 singing piggie pop band demanding food with all their lungs. That I can do without.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:03 pm

Eeeee babies!!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:18 am

I second that - babies with crazy abby fur - super adorable. Glad mum is being treated for mites as am sure she must so uncomfortable. Daddy Bill looks like he might be a snuggler.

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:27 am

Oh, I'm so jealous!! What cuties!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:17 am

They are all so darn cute! So you are seeing the mom scratch? There are other conditions that cause thinning of the hair (may also be related to the pregnancy if she was poorly nourished).

This is a lot of photos. To make page loading easier for people with poor internet connections, I recommend waiting until the next page before posting more than one or two photos.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:51 pm

Lynx,
Everyone is scratching more than they should and any pink skin is irritated on everyone who has white fur. But that might be why she looks worse than the rest. I didn't even think that could be why she's loss so much hair, thank you. I'll call Dr. Dell tomorrow and let her know. I'll start some CC for an add boost today since she's more than likely pregnant again.

tashab

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:07 pm

The babies are darling. I'm sure the mites and any other health issues will get solved quickly now that they are under your care.

jacqueline

Post   » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:00 am

Oh, I just hate to think of that poor mum being pregnant again. How awful for her! But I'm so glad she's under your loving care.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:42 pm

Well happy but sad news.

Everyone is doing AMAZING. Mama Pig has a feel body of fur again. Everyone was treated for mites and now for the happy but sad news, Bill and Oliver were adopted by a lovely couple. Its sad because Bill is such a snuggle piggie and I will miss him but I know they are going to have a great life.

The baby girls will have their chance at a new home this week if everything goes well. Then its just Houdini, as his adoption fell through.

tashab

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:52 pm

Yay for forever homes! Boo to having to say goodbye to foster babies!

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Sat May 30, 2015 7:54 am

Molly, aka big mama finally had babies this morning.

She had 6 babies! Photos will happen once we get to page two though.

Random question, she's still cleaning them off and I've never be around for a birth, just hours later. can I assist her with some warm water and a clean cloth to help clean off the babies?

clairey

Post   » Sat May 30, 2015 9:14 am

I have no idea but 6?! Wow that's a lot, she must be exhausted.