Abbey's Medical Thread

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:37 am

See what the vet says, and please keep us posted. Best to her (well, both!) and to you.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:36 pm

Just got back from the vets. Abbey got a clean bill of health. Except for the cleaning fluid pooling in her left eye there is no other sign of disease in her eyes.

I talked to her about a spay but she would rather not do one unless there are signs of reproductive disease. She can see no symptoms of ovarian cysts and Abbey's heat cycles are normal. Even when she pressed firmly on Abbey's ovaries Abbey showed absolutely no sign of discomfort. She says if the occasional bleeding was due to some sort of disease Abbey should be showing progressively worse symptoms by now and there has been no change in her health.

It is a relief to have at least one healthy girl.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:32 pm

That's excellent news. Always a relief to have at least one with a clean bill of health.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:30 pm

Thanks Talishan. I wish Zoe's wellness check went as well as Abbey's. I am now mentally preparing myself for Zoe's surgery.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:22 pm

Something unsettling happened this evening.

I moved the girls back upstairs into the kitchen two days ago now the weather is cooler. This gives me a good opportunity to monitor them.

I went to give them a treat of lettuce but Abbey didn't respond and looked as though she was sleeping. I talked to her, waved the lettuce in front of her nose and even patted her. The only way I can describe how she felt when I patted her was "slack" like her muscles were totally relaxed and she was wiggly and not firm. Her eyes were not totally closed and didn't seem focused. Even after patting her she didn't immediately wake up. I really thought she was dying.

After what seemed like forever, but in reality was probably seconds, she woke up, at first looked a little disoriented and then recovered. She chowed down on the lettuce and has been totally fine since.

I wouldn't think prey animals would sleep that soundly and I have never noticed this before. Could she just have been sleeping deeply? Could it have been some sort of mini stroke such as a TIA? Anyone experience something similar?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:36 pm

She could have just been deeply asleep. My Ruffles does that occasionally.

But you should keep an eye on the situation. Heart pigs can sleep very deeply, so if it becomes a pattern, you should see a vet.
Last edited by bpatters on Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:41 pm

Thanks bpatters: It gave me quite a scare. I will reread the heart page. I haven't noticed anything else heart related but she is 4 1/5 years. Not old but at an age health issues could start developing.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:08 pm

Ditto bpatters. We've had senior senior pigs do that. Their eyes will even seem to 'flutter' a bit under the half-closed lids, like they're having a mini-seizure, or possibly dreaming.

That said, those pigs have been well over 6. This incident and her pea eye make me wonder about possible developing heart compromise.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:35 pm

Her eyes did flutter under half closed lids. It was the feel of her body that really freaked me. It reminded me of my pets that had just passed away. I have held more than one beloved pet when they were put to sleep.

She doesn't have pea eye, but does have a duct problem that won't drain away the cleaning fluid in one eye. She also had trouble coming out of the anesthetic when she had her cyst removed. I will monitor her closely and get a vet check if I am concerned. She did have her wellness check not long ago.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:21 am

"but does have a duct problem that won't drain away the cleaning fluid in one eye. She also had trouble coming out of the anesthetic when she had her cyst removed."

Nearly every single one of our heart pigs has had that exact same duct problem. And trouble coming out of anaesthesia is classic for heart.

I don't think it's an urgent emergency, necessarily, but I'd want an x-ray of her heart, or better, if your vet would go along with it, a trial of benazepril based upon clinical sign.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:34 pm

I made a vet appointment for Abbey today. I am concerned she is developing dental issues.

I have noticed more pellets than normal around the dish and after observing the girls discovered Abbey is having trouble picking them up. It takes a few tries before she gets them into her mouth.

She is eating hay, peppers, grass and greens okay but sometimes moves her mouth and head back and forth when eating lettuce.

I can't get into the vets for two weeks but if she starts to lose weight and things get worse they will fit me in somehow.

I will monitor her weight and have already started bringing her out for extra feedings so I can observe her eating.

Her front teeth are straight but not sure how long they should be. They seem okay. I can't check the back teeth but if the front teeth start to slant or change I will take her in sooner.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:20 pm

Sounds like a plan. I hope things improve!