Abbey's Medical Thread

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks Talishan. I totally agree. I have put her through so many stressful tests that have showed absolutely nothing.

Abbey has been doing so well the past couple of days. The weather has finally cooled down enough to bring them back upstairs to their kitchen cage. They spend the two hot summer months in our TV room downstairs where the temperature stays at a consistent 20 to 22 deg.

Although they do okay downstairs they don't get the stimulation and companionship they do in the kitchen. Also they are in a run for floor time downstairs but are free range in the kitchen and hang out while I am cooking.

Abbey has just blossomed since returning her to the kitchen environment. She seems so perky and happy.

I am now wondering if she actually has hearing loss or just lost some of her communication skills.

I have decided to cancel the vet appointment for now and monitor her urine with the test strips. Now I can see who is drinking water, eating the pellets and how often Abbey is out eating hay. I will continue to weigh her.

There is something else that I think was stressing her. After her surgery I noticed Abbey wasn't coming out of her wooden house as often to eat hay. I was concerned with weight loss so I removed their two wooden houses during the day to encourage more activity and replaced the corners with cuddle cups and draped fleece for privacy. I noticed she started to try and pull down the fabric at the back of the hay tray which was a new behavior. I think she was frustrated and was trying to tell me she wanted her houses back.

Putting back the houses seems to have lowered her anxiety and she is not as easily startled.

GPIG

Post   » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:16 pm

Have you been able to check sodium levels in blood work? There is a kidney disorder that can appear where sodium level is reduced by improper kidney function.

Essentially the pig drinks water because it's getting dehydrated but the more it drinks the more dehydrated it gets because the kidneys are over-filtering sodium. It doesn't even have to be an extrme amount of water intake. Kind of a counter intuitive problem

Sodium level is gradually reduced, and when it becomes critical, seizure, paralysis and heart problems can be extreme symptoms.

Not common, but it does happen and can be brought on by medications (possibly during/after surgery), overdrinking etc.

If it were to be the case and diagnosed as such the disorder is maintained by monitoring precise amount of water intake – a little tricky but doable. And sometimes water intake is reduced naturally and problem can appear to correct istself.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks for your input GPIG. I am open to looking at all possibilities. I have not had blood work done so have no idea on sodium levels, but it is something to ask the vet next time I go in. Her water intake has never changed. Both girls drink about the same amount which I feel is normal.

To recap Abbey symptoms:

- Blood in urine on and off for over two years (this has been confirmed).

- High protein on the test strips I use (Vet says this can be expected when you suck urine off a possibly contaminated surface. Not an accurate reading unless you take a sterile sample directly from the bladder.)

- Possible hearing loss. If I make weird noises with my mouth she will react, but no reaction when I speak to her which is unusual (maybe she has taken lessons from my husband and has developed selective hearing).

- Eye abnormalities. Possible blocked tear duct with cleaning fluid pooling in one eye. Early stage cataracts according to the vet, nothing outwardly visible.

- Slight weight loss (may be due to the surgery in June. I am wondering if bpatters is right and maybe just a slow recovery after surgery. She did take 30 hours before she could use her back legs although she was eating.

Other than that she is bopping around her cage and acting like a normal piggy. Now they are up in the kitchen I can really monitor her, check her urine and weigh her regularly. If I notice any further decline in her health we will be off to the vets.

Thanks everyone for your input. I learn so much from the members on this forum. I am not sure what I would do without this support and knowledge.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Watch her carefully (which I know you will), but it's not impossible that returning to the kitchen was what she needed. Many of them simply don't do well with environmental/regular routine changes.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:00 pm

Thanks Talishan. She will be in the kitchen for the next ten months so I will have the opportunity to keep a close eye on her.

She has been through a lot since June. The surgery, a month later moving them to the TV room and then in August moving them to a friend's for a week while I was away. We can finally all get back into some sort of routine now the busy hot summer is over.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:16 pm

Abbey had a great fall and winter and for the most part is doing well.

I have noticed a slight change in her eyes. It is not really obvious but they seem a little larger and at times I can see more of the white ring around them. This is more noticeable when she is out during lap time but that is when I really study her.

She still gets the build up of cleaning fluid in one eye that doesn't clear but that hasn't changed since September 2013.

She will be four years old on March 26th and I guess I am concerned about glaucoma. I have made an appointment with her vet for March 6th.

Besides eye pressure and looking into the back of her eyes is there anything else I should be checking? She is almost due for her wellness check anyways so I will have her vet give her a thorough examination.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:08 pm

If you are in particular concerned about her eyes, you could also see a veterinary ophthalmologist.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:09 pm

A well check is a good idea. I've noticed you can see more of the whites of their eyes as they age sometimes, but not usually as early as 4. Keep us posted.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:26 am

Thanks for the replies. I have a very knowledgeable vet but if she is unsure a ophthalmologist might be a good idea.

My friend had mentioned the same concern about her four year old sow and took her into the same vet I use. She has developed pea eye. I will be seeing her on the weekend so I will get a chance to compare her sow's eyes to Abbey's.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Abbey is going for wellness check tomorrow.

I am thinking of seeing if we should have her spayed at the same time as Zoe. I know surgery poses risks but with her long history of passing blood, which she is still doing, a spay would rule out reproductive issues.

Even with an ultrasound her vet could not figure out if the blood is coming from her bladder or kidneys or if it may be from the uterus. An X-ray showed no stones.

I am hoping her vet will have an opinion on this.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:31 pm

I hope all goes well if you do have her spayed. And hope it stops any more passing of blood.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:14 pm

It is kind of scary Lynx putting her through a spay when I am not sure if it will cure the problem. I am having difficulties with this decision.