Abbey's Medical Thread

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:01 pm

Thanks for the link Talishan. I would have never thought of interfacing fabric and I have sewn for many years. What a good idea.

I was lying in bed last night wide awake for most of it thinking of different ways to protect the stitches in case I woke up to an open wound. The wound looks very good this morning and seems to be healing nicely so I don't have to start sewing yet.

She was reaching up on the grids this morning looking for her breakfast which was a welcome sight.

GPIG I have been also thinking they might get itchy once they start healing. The vet said the skin is quite thick in that area. That is the reason for that type of stitch. I am hoping it is thick enough to endure a little tugging. Only time will tell. I have to go back to work on Monday which is a bit of a worry.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:28 pm

Honestly I don't think I've ever seen a photo of a suture in that area that was hidden. All the photos I can recall having been posted on this site, taken in that area, have been much like yours.

Truthfully, in all likelihood if she doesn't mess with them tonight, tomorrow or Sunday you should be okay on Monday. That's not a guarantee, but I'd think it likely.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks for the positive thoughts Talishan. I am going to focus on that. I keep telling myself to try and be in the moment and not worry about what MAY happen but it is not always easy to do. Right now at this moment Abbey is doing great. She had her last dose of metacam.

I am only going on the experience my friend had with her guinea pig's surgeries. One of her sows was spayed due to ovarian cysts and the same sow had a fatty tumor removed near her breast. At first they thought it was a mammary tumor until they got the biopsy back. She has the same vet as Abbey and both of those incisions were sewn with hidden stitches that were left to dissolve.

I think you are right about the area the surgery is located. The surgeries on my friend's sow were in the tummy area. I never really thought about that until you mentioned it.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:58 pm

It has been 10 days since Abbey's surgery. I took her in to have her stitches removed and they are not healed enough. Her vet started to remove them and realized there is still a small area that could come apart. She said Abbey's skin was really tough and hard to stitch. We have to go back next Thursday June 26th so hopefully they can come out then.

I talked to her about the opiate pain killer and that it took Abbey 30 hours after her surgery before she could walk and get around on her own. She made a note of it and if Abbey ever has to have another surgery she will have to come up with a different dose or another drug.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:42 am

Not able to comment on if they should have healed (enough time) but slightly concerned that the small area could have infection behind. Is there any swelling, tenderness or sign of infection?

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:35 pm

Her vet said the incision looked good with no sign of infection. There is no redness, swelling or tenderness. She said it was a difficult incision to close and it has some puckers. In that particular area the incision didn't have any excess skin so there is a bit of tension which could pull the incision apart if not completely healed.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:30 pm

That makes sense. I want to say that's come up on here before. It sounds like the vet knows what they're doing.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Abbey's vet only does exotics, birds, rabbits, lizards, guinea pigs, etc. I went to her in 1990 with my wild starling. With her help he lived 11 years. She has been looking after these little critters for many years.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:08 am

Ever since Abbey's surgery she has been a little different, nothing big, just subtle things I have noticed. I will phone her vet tomorrow and make an appointment but I am not sure I have anything concrete for her to check.

First of all after her surgery it took her 30 hours before she could get up and walk. Her back legs wouldn't work and she would sort of drag herself around. I thought that was pretty unusual but she finally got up and I figured all was well.

She has been zoning out and at times just stares into space. A couple of days ago she was sleeping with her eyes closed and didn't move even after I spoke. I had to touch her. She also isn't responding to voice cues. She has always known so many words and would get excited when I would say things like, "Are you hungry, want your supper?". Her sister Zoe is still responding as usual.

She is also spooking easier and when I come into the room, even though I have spoken first, she will sometimes run for cover but not always. Yesterday it was a dull day and I turned on some different lights which made her go and hide.

She is eating, drinking and her weight is stable. I am weighing every other day.

I have noticed more urine smell and tested her urine last night. The test strip was normal except for the protein square which showed high levels of protein. I have asked the vet about this before and she said that can happen unless you get a sterile sample. I will check Zoe's urine just in case and I will take a sample in when we go to the vets.

It is almost like she has gone deaf or is having small strokes. It is hard to pinpoint because most of the time she seems normal.

Could something have happened during surgery to cause these symptoms? Any thoughts?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:19 am

Without reading back, 1) how old is she and 2) has heart compromise/enlargement been considered?

Protein in the urine means something (not just not sterile), but I can't remember what it is. Bpatters, do you know?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:23 am

Diabetes?

If you look carefully into the ears, is there any buildup of debris?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:21 am

Protein in the urine can be a result of something like stress or exposure to extremes of heat or cold, or a fever. Those are pretty benign causes.

Other possibilities include several kinds of kidney disease, diabetes, several heart conditions, high blood pressure, cancer -- you name it, it's probably in the list. Stroke, however, is not.

Given that she's just been through surgery and is having a slow time recovering, maybe it's just a temporary condition.