Guinea pig won't stop squeaking

Elaavor

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:03 am

Hello.
I got a guinea pig five days ago. her name is Koochi. she is 2 months old.
at first she was very shy and she wouldn't even come out of her hide place. but now it appears she's got used to us and comes and goes out of her hide place.
for the first few days, i put food in her cage in a bowel and she would eat them all. I would also hand feed her and she would eat food from my hand too.
but now she doesn't eat food from her bowel at all and she only wants to be hand feeded. and bcz of that, she won't stop squeaking!she's constantly squeaking. i think it is only related to food, cause when i want to give her attnetion and touch her, she rans away as usual.
everytime she hears footsteps, she starts squeaking.everytime sometimes comes into room, she starts squeaking. she's just unstoppable. at first it was cute, but now that I haven't slept in 2 days, it's losing its charm.
what should i do to get her to stop squeaking and whistling?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:16 am

Can someone please move this to Cavy Chat?

She is probably squeaking because she is hungry and it sounds like she is not getting enough food. Guinea pigs need to eat 24/7. Does she have plenty of grass hay at all times? What kind of food were you feeding her in her bowl? Maybe the food has spoiled, or become moldy?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:26 am

[accidental post]

Elaavor

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:28 am

she has plenty of grass.
the food in the bowel contains tomato, carrot, cucumber, veggies. they're not spoiled. i've changed them. but still she barely eat from them and instead spend all her time squeaking around.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:29 am

Are you feeding pellets as well?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:51 am

Do you have access to hay and guinea pig pellets there in Iran? If you do, they would be better than giving too much fresh produce.
https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

Elaavor

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:12 pm

I actually don't have access to pellets. but i give her a lot of hay. yet she always starts whistling as soon as she hears footsteps or sees someone enter the room. and i've realized she won't stop unless i give her lettuce. but i don't want to give her too much lettuce, cause i've heared too much wont be good for them. but she's leaving me no choice! today at 7 am while my father was going to work, she heard his footsteps from outside the room and started whistling and woke everyone up. she didn't stop till my father gave her a lettuce. I've tried giving her other things beside lettuce, but she doesn't eat them therefor those things wont stop her from whistling.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:36 pm

Well, you're the one who gives her the food -- she can't go get the lettuce herself. But if you're going to continue to do that, start saving money now for expensive vet bills, as her molars will overgrow and trap her tongue if she doesn't get enough hay. And I'm guessing that rodent dentists are nonexistent where you are.

If you had a child, would you give it candy everytime it cried for it? I didn't think so. Neither should you give this pig lettuce every time it wheeks for it. If you feed veggies on a regular basis at the same time of day, she'll learn the schedule, and stop wheeking so much.

But I still say you should totally stop the vegetables until she learns to eat hay. And you should definitely be supplementing her with vitamin C.

Elaavor

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:05 pm

as I said, she has unlimited suply of hay. but that doesn't stop her from squeaking. when she sees someone or hears footsteps, she stops everything she's doing and whistle as much as she can.
will try feeding her on schedule and not giving her lettuce.
also, if i stop feeding her veggies, how can i supply her vitamin c?! (& she really dislikes tomamto) seeing the way she is now (not eating anything beside hay and lettuce and only some kinds of vegtables) i doubt she's ever gonna eat vitamin c pills.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:27 pm

Crush a plain vitamin C pill, roll it up in a bit of lettuce, like a cigarette, and feed it to her.

It will take her a while to stop wheeking for food, because you've taught her to wheek by feeding her every time she does. Just ignore the wheeking and only feed her on a schedule. And feed her VERY few, if any, veggies until she starts eating hay.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:00 pm

What kind of hay are you able to get? Does she have a constant supply of fresh water? It sounds like she doesn't have a cage mate. Could she be missing having a guinea pig friend?

I have my girls on a schedule like bpatters is suggesting. They only beg for greens and pellets in the morning and the evening and are content for the rest of the day. They do have unlimited hay.

Try giving her the greens at a certain time 2 or 3 times a day and offering a handful of hay if she begs at other times.

Red252

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:25 pm

Do you only have one guinea pig? When I got my first piggie (only several months ago! But I've learned a lot with help from this site), she was alone, and used to squeak a ton whenever I came in the room, and whenever I tried to leave. I would try to placate her with food, but it didn't work too well. I finally realized she just seemed anxious and lonely--the behavior stopped as soon as I got her a larger cage and a friend to go with it :). If she's not just wheeking for food, she may just want more attention in general (even if she still runs away from you).