When to Change Fleece and Towels

Feylin

Post   » Sat May 31, 2008 1:27 pm

Woah. 7x4? That's HUGE! Can we see? That's such a palace for only 2 pigs.

If you had that much space, you could change it every month!

Jasmaya

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:48 am

I have one last question for this thread... I have bought some fleece and am reusing some old towels that have been sitting in the cupboard (yay)! When cleaning up the poops my vacuum seems to suck up the fleece at the same time :( So I was wondering if a hand vacuum is a better option, and if so... is there a particular model anyone would recommend? I was looking at one of those Dirt Devil Kone's - they look good, just not sure if they will suit the purpose as they don't seem to have a hi and low function.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:00 pm

The fleece will always get somewhat sucked up in the vacuum. Less powerful hand models do help. Having heavy things in the corners help too, as will other methods of holding the fleece firmly down. That's why I prefer the pan and brush for regular cleaning. I use the dustbuster roughly every other day to get up crumbs and such. My mom was shopping these a while back and said that while the Kone looks spiffy, it was really low power. It also looks like it has a pretty small collection bin. I'd go with a regular model.

Jasmaya

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:51 pm

Sounds good, thanks for the advice!

Feylin

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:49 pm

I have a black and decker hand vac that works really well. it was about $35 at the store. The fleece just always gets sucked up! I put heavy bricks on the edges plus clothespin the edges of the fleece to the grids. I did it for my burrowers, but it helps with the vaccum thing.

Topaz

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:49 pm

I've never used a vacuum or a dustpan and broom.

I just put fleece squares on top of the main cage-sized fleece, mostly just in their poop and peep areas, like under pigloos and near the hay rack. This way, I can just pick them up and shake the poops into a box I use for poops and old hay and whatnot.

If the fleece squares feel damp, I throw them in the wash and replace with new ones(I've got a gazillion of them). If they're not wet and just have poops on them, I shake them off and put them back where they were.

I do this twice a day and it works great for me.

By the way, any stray poops not on said fleece squares get picked up by hand. Yes, I admit to being a poop picker upper.

Feylin

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:27 pm

Hee! Me too, Topaz. I'm just discovering this layering fleece technique. It works very well!

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:33 pm

We use a shop vac. If you use the brush attachment it gets all the poos without sucking up the fleece. Snow, Shakes & T-patch all think it's fun to hurdle over it while I'm cleaning.

Jasmaya

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:03 pm

Ha! I wonder what my piggies will do if exposed to a hand vac! Hmm, I may just have to try the fleece patches as I definitely have off cuts from the fleece I bought.

Mrs Spurtle

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:55 am

I found a few large pieces of fleece in the thrift stores for so cheap. Now I have a big supply and when I change it I just gather up the fleece from one end of my C&C cage and roll it up poops and all, and while I'm rolling up the used fleece, I am laying down a clean piece. Then I take the used piece and shake the poops out over my fence into another part of the yard that I don't go into except for cutting the grass. Just adds a bit of fertilizer I guess. I have also used this fleece to make quite a few "hidy-bags". Where do the rest of you put the poops?

Raianna

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:18 pm

I'm leaving for college soon, so my dad has to start taking care of the pig again. He's getting all annoyed that the towels stay wet under the fleece (we have newspaper under the towels, but the hardly get wet except for in high pee areas). He usually just uses newspaper and a tiny thing of fleece in the pig's bed area when I'm not home -.-

Any suggestions for what I should tell him? Especially since he is getting neutered on the 23rd and I want his bedding to be super safe and super clean, because I'm not going to be here to monitor him after his surgery.

Smores63

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:02 pm

I have 2 pigs, females. Never tried carefresh but I often consider it.

I find my cage needs a cleaning twice a week but I don't want or have time to do that. I usually push it to the weekend.

I have use commercial products like ginniepig bedspreads and fleece flippers.

The bedspreads worked until my pigs matured. Not enough padding for the pee and too much $

Flippers, work better but so much effort and laundry. And also costly.

Currently I use a mix of items. I created kitchen with pee pads. These get replaced daily, sometimes twice a day. Thus helped greatly but not so pretty. I use pleated peepads that are made heavier for large dogs and buy online in bulk. They lay flat.

I still use flippers but I'm considering ditching the flippers soon, so I can have thicker layers of blankets. Hoping this will reduce smell.

I'll post back with results