When to Change Fleece and Towels

My2Pigs

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 4:32 pm

Mine go in their sleeping spots, too.

When I first started using the fleece, I got a potty corner tub for them, thinking they'd use it. I attached it to the cage, thinking Henry would leave it alone -- Cinni is too much of a diva to be bothered. But. . . well. . . no luck. Henry thought it was a toy. Within the first hour, he had figured out how to unclamp it and had it flipped -- bedding and all -- upside down in the cage. The boy's just not quite right. But we love him.

My two piggies are in a 2x4 C&C, and after two days the stinky pee-pee smell was such that my husband -- who has nothing to do with my piggers -- would tell me it stunk in the house. So, even with my sweeping out the poos and trying to layer the fleece and peeling off layers, it just didn't work for me. I really wish there WAS a way to make it work. It'd be so much cheaper. A bottle of detergent every once in a while is a lot cheaper than care fresh bedding.

So, now, I am way curioius about that baby crib pad. That sounds like an awesome idea. (I think she said baby crib size...) Or, hey, if that works, the next size up would be one for a toddler bed. That would probably work, and you could just pull it over the sides and drop it in. Hmmmm...

rshevin

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 7:07 pm

Crib pads aren't absorbent enough on their own. You get the flat kind and use it as a final backup layer underneath the towels and fleece.

The only thing I've found that helps with smell is keeping up with the cleaning.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 1:30 am

I use 4 layers of towels underneath the one layer of fleece (polar fleece I think). By day 3 it looks dirty from food stains but does not smell, I forgot to wash the bedding so they have now had the same fleece/towels for 4 days. It still does not smell but it looking dirty. Good news is, my fleece/towels are dry now so I can go and clean them out.

I do vacuum up twice a day using a dustbuster. I also have a 1x2 kitchen area in both cages, it is filled with pine with aspen on the top. I scoop out the soiled bits twice a day and replace with fresh stuff.

I have 5 saks (but really need two or three times more than that!) which they get during the night. During the day it is too hot for them. After 2 days these need a wash as well.

I have little squares of fleece cut out that I use to make little tents, under each tent is a small towel or square of fleece. They generally get changed everyday.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 11:23 am

Has anyone noticed the original poster has not been back? Hope they're at least reading everything.

Feylin

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 11:28 am

Uh, oh. At least we've been helpfull to others! I got the great idea of layering fleece from Mum in a similar thread.

Jasmaya, Henry my coronet boar hasn't had a single mat on fleece. In his previous home he got them all the time from aspen. I'm letting his hair grow really long (except for his butt area) since he seems to like it. He's kind of a big wierdo and loves to be brushed each night though. I think your girls would love fleece!

Jasmaya

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 11:31 am

Sounds great! I think I am going to give it a go, especially considering the fact that poor Peanut is overcoming such bad matting and I don't want her to have to experience all that again. My husband is a little worried about the whole smell issue, but there are so many ideas on here that I will just have to give them all a chance and see how we go. I may keep a kitchen area to see if that helps some (and hopefully the piggies will go there)!

Maria1986

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 11:36 am

I was worried about the smell issue too when I switched Jasmaya, but I find fleece so much better than aspen. I actually found that the aspen smelt more than the fleece does.

Don't give up after the first attempt if it doesn't work out so great, it took me a little while to figure out the best set up to suit me, my pigs and my lifestyle.

Jasmaya

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 11:40 am

I have noticed the same thing with Aspen and have found myself using the recycled newspaper product underneath it to try and control the odor a little better. I think I might go shopping this weekend! hehe. Any ideas on where to purchase a good fleece product eg. any large nationwide type chain stores perhaps?

Also, does fleece need to be sewn around the edges to prevent fraying? From what I recall, I don't think it does but I haven't bought fleece for a very long time! (I am sewing machine less at the moment).

Maria1986

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 11:42 am

Fleece doesn't need hemming around the edges, but depending on if you want to tuck it under or clip it around the edges you will need to make sure there is enough around the side to do that (speaking from experience here!).

No suggestions on where to buy in the US, but I'm sure someone else will give you some good starting points.

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 11:58 am

I just read this thread and to let you know, Baby Guinea goes NUTS when I use the dustbuster! He popcorns everywhere and likes to help me clean up lol. It's like a game to him..I vaccuum his poops, he poops MORE! Silly boy. So moral to the story..he loves when I turn on the loud dustbuster. haha

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 12:00 pm

I bought my fleece very cheap at Joanns Fabric

Maria1986

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 12:03 pm

Mine play with the dust buster too. Cinnamon and Nut will run towards it and see who gets closest before chickening out. The loser then gets chased around the cage by the winner.

Its so funny to watch.