Safe Cream to use

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:36 am

As one gets older one finds their skin gets drier. I am wondering what hand/body cream one can use that has no ill affect to ones fur children. Would appreciate any answers that can help me and the fuzzy babies. Thanking in advance.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:34 pm

I would think that an organic lotion with hypoallergenic properties would fit your needs. I think Jergins makes one my wife uses.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:12 pm

One popular cream here for long lasting hydration is Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. If you apply just what you need and let it soak in, I don't think the common ingredients would bother your guinea pigs.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:20 pm

Unless you slather it on and have it all over your hands when you handle them (and then they lick it off their fur), I can't imagine a problem with any hand cream.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:20 am

Unless you slather it on and have it all over your hands when you handle them (and then they lick it off their fur), I can't imagine a problem with any hand cream.

I use to use Aveeno oatmeal moisturiser cream and both Jan and Jinx would sneeze their heads off. I would put very little on but they just couldn't bear it. https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/prod ... hand-cream

Plus handling their food I was just in the market for very safe cream. Lynx, will look into that cream! Thanks sef, Lynx, and Renonvsparky for your replies.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:04 am

In that case, I would think anything fragrance-free/marketed for sensitive skin would be okay.

Kelsie

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:41 pm

This doesn't have to do with hand cream but a few months ago I received a sample of Elemis Day Cream. One morning I decided to use it and I immediately realized that it was so heavily rose scented that it made me nauseous. I washed it off and a few minutes later went into my pigs room. They were walking around and just grazing on their hay. Almost immediately they sniffed the air and ran into their hideys. It was just so surprising to me that even with the cream being washed off they could still smell that heavy odor and they found it so unpleasant.

That was the first time I ever noticed that they were bothered by the scent of any beauty cream or lotion that I used. It sure made me aware of how sensitive their respiratory systems are. I have always used All Free & Clear detergent for their fleece. Now I'm very careful of any scented product that I might use when I am handling my pigs.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Some of the fragrances are overpowering. Bath and Body is popular here and they have quality products, but the fragrances are so strong. A friend gives their lotions as gifts and I hate to waste a good product, so I use the lotion on just my legs and feet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:55 pm

If I have a choice, I avoid any type of scent.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:03 am

I avoid any type of scent.
I can't stand scent anyways. They give me a head ache. I steer clear of flowers, perfumes and smelly things. Thanks for the replies Sef, Kelsie, ItsaZoo and Lynx.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:56 am

I’m thinking highly scented lotions and perfumes might be the way to achieve social distancing to prevent COVID. If they can’t stand the way I smell, they will keep their distance!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:09 am

If they can’t stand the way I smell, they will keep their distance!

Went to K-Mart today waiting at service desk and this damn woman was so close to me (a) she kept bumping into me and (b) I could feel her breath on my neck. What happened to 1 trolley distance when shopping??? Thanks for the reply ItsaZoo.