Food

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:53 am

I mentioned it at great length here, in your other thread about food:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 3#p2305203

This is why it's best to keep similar questions in one topic instead of having multiple ones.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:38 am

Ditto Sef. She knows of what she speaks!

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:58 am

Alright. I usually remember these things but at that time I was good back and forth everyday. Apologies.

And yes she is very picky with certain veggies sadly. She ate some cucumbers but ignored them at first so I assume she will ignore them completely next time.

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:25 am

The oxbow pellets you speak of is the essential adult guinea pig (Timothy based) right?

That is the name I see pop up everywhere.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:16 am

Yes, that's the one.

Many of us also use KMS Hayloft:
https://kmshayloft.com/

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:11 pm

Thank you, I appreciate this.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:26 am

For the past few days I noticed the female pig peeing out occasional small pools of white powder. At first I tought it was the transition off the pellets since she could still have some in her system.

She has been off the old pellets for a week or so and decided to wait till I replace her fleece bedding. I found the powder again. The only thing that is high in calcium (while I wait for the new pellets to come) is cilantro. We only give like 1-2. She drink decent amount of water. All veggies are also drenched in water to be sure she is drinking a good amount (poops look good so not giving her too much water).

I have no clue why she is still peeing white powder

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:23 am

I'd omit the cilantro. In some pigs, it has the same effect as romaine -- excess urinary calcium.

And it's not necessarily the amount of calcium in a food that causes the problem. Romaine is no higher in calcium than most other lettuces, but it definitely caused excess calcium deposits with my pigs. Cilantro did the same.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 am

Interesting. I never fed cilantro so never noticed this but certainly did notice the issue with romaine.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:19 am

So the new pellets came today.

I will see what happens bot giving cilantro.

We also give her some celery as well. Staples are red and green leaf, all colors of peppers.

Gonna give the pellets every other day so atleast she gets the other nutrients she lacks and see how she urinates.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:30 am

So the female pig is extremely picky when it comes to her veggies.

I know for a fact she will eat red and green lettuce, any color peppers, cilantro, carrots and celery. That is pretty much it. She refuses to eat anything other than that.

I been giving every other day, pellets. The one I give is the new one from kms hayloth and not using the remaining pellets I have from smart pet select.

I believe I noticed far less calcium in her urine but it is not easy since she pees in different areas in the cage so hard to pin point how much of a difference. Just from some small white patches I see here and there.

I feel like she can't tolerate the pellets that well. We don't give cilantro almost at all just so I can watch how she pees since cilantro has a good amount of calcium. It is not like I can stop giving her pellets cause being very picky, the veggie list shrinks and she will miss out on essential vitamins and minerals.

Maybe space out the days I give out pellets? Instead of every other day, maybe every second day. See how she reacts?

I give 2 scoops of 1/8 of a tbsp.

Any suggestions on this? What I wrote above is all I can think of at the moment.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:14 am

Why do you think she can't tolerate the pellets? KMS Hayloft has the lowest amount of calcium of any commercial pellets in the US. I'd be very surprised if they are the problem. Get rid of the cilantro entirely and see if you notice a difference in calcium deposits. If you keep reducing pellets, she will start losing weight and could very well end up with vitamin deficiencies, as you said.