Anyone Ordered from KMS Lately?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:14 pm

And have you checked Amazon.com? They carry KMS. Maybe they still have some in inventory.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:07 am

Yes, I did did contact KMS, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Hugo has enough pellets left to last about another week, so I will need to figure something out.

Thanks for the tip, Sef! I will check it out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:25 am

Do you have a rescue nearby that uses them? Or are there any nearby guinea pig lovers/owners who use them you know?

It is hard to switch brands!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:03 am

Apparently the weather did a number on the northwest growing season. Wheat farmers, in particular, were hard hit by heavy late snows and cold weather, and were weeks late planting. Recent rains have affected the harvest. Maybe that also applies to hay in the area.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:03 am

I heard back from KMS this morning. They were told that their pellets would be delivered by tonight; fingers crossed. Honestly, I don't know if Hugo would even eat different pellets! Good idea about checking with rescues and friends, Lynx! If their pellets are not delivered in time, I may do that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:29 am

Oh, you could get your friends to order from KMS too so it would be more likely they might have spare pellets in a pinch ;-)

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:32 pm

I have actually done that, Lynx! haha! It was a long time ago though, so I should check to see if she is still using them. KMS just got their timothy pellets back in stock and I was able to order them for Hugo.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:43 pm

Great! I have been thinking of switching back to KMS after having my guys on Oxbow for the past year. Are the larger pellets a problem for Hugo? I bought a bag of KMS alfalfa pellets when we adopted a baby not too long ago, and he wouldn't touch them. The pellets were enormous.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:52 pm

I haven't noticed them being larger, but they are not as crumbly as they were in the past.  Even so, Hugo has no trouble eating them with his "old man" teeth!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:02 pm

Have you ever fed Oxbow pellets? They are twice the size of those, or at least the alfalfa pellets were. I assume they're all cut the same. I'm still going to order a bag and see. If nothing else, I can hang onto it and send you some if you ever run out again. ;)

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:52 pm

Yes, I used Oxbow "Cavy Cuisine" for many years and then their organic pellets when they first came out with them.  My guys were getting lots of bladder stones, so I switched to KMS about a decade ago and have been using them since.  I use the timothy pellets, so maybe the alfalfa pellets are the large ones?  I haven't used alfalfa pellets for almost six years.  Good luck getting your guys to eat the KMS!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:46 pm

Thanks. Ordered a smaller bag, just to see. I was glad when Oxbow changed its formula a couple of years or so ago, but it's still fairly high in calcium. After a devastating issue with stones again after several years if everybody being stone-free, I want to reduce calcium as much as I possibly can.