Small Hay Racks

Harmony

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:19 am

Does anyone have any hay racks that they recommend? I've tried four different types now and none of them really work - though it might be the guineas' fault as one pair pulls it all out immediately, another won't touch anything that is in the rack, and my youngest try to pull it down with their teeth just for fun!
The ones that go on the outside I would prefer as it takes up less room that way, but any suggestions welcome that I can try out!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:37 pm

All that says is that you've got guinea pigs! That's what they do to hay!

Ultimately, the easiest thing for you is just to put it in a pile and let them rummage through. There's no more waste that way than there is with them putting it in a pile, and if you put the pile on top of a fleece square or in a kitchen box, it will be easy to clean up.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:50 pm

I use a rabbit litter tray that is a little longer. I put Carefresh-type bedding in the bottom and fill it with hay. My piggy likes to rummage through it and sleep in it. The cage stays cleaner and the hay kind of stays in the one corner of the cage.

CleoCharity

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:58 pm

I have a smaller 2 by 2 area that they run over a ramp to get to, and that's their "kitchen". I have a hay bag there, made of fabric that I've sewed into a little pouch, but they pull a lot of the hay out of it. I also have special liners for that section that I just change out more than the other parts of the cage, and it keeps everything contained.

Harmony

Post   » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:16 am

Cleocharity, haybag! thanks, that's given me an idea, I use haynets for the horses, but hadn't thought of trying that with the guineas!

CleoCharity

Post   » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:20 pm

My pigs really like the one they have. You can make ones that are different lengths with different amounts of holes,. I used this article to make ours, https://natashalh.com/how-to-make-a-fab ... -tutorial/ The great thing about making one yourself is you can pick whatever fabric you want, and it's probably cheaper.
If you're thinking of buying one online, though, I would recommend this shop. I've ordered a ton of things there, and although I don't know if their hay bags are any good, they get great reviews, and everything else from there has been awesome. https://www.guineapigmarket.com/heavenly-hay-bag
I hope this helps!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:27 pm

Guineapigmarket is a great shop. They make quality products. And are a Guinea Lynx supporter!

Harmony

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:16 am

I can't work out how to thank people individually, so will just thank everyone for their suggestions here!

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:12 pm

We use a Hay pile on a potty pad.

We also have a Hay Barn,

a Hay bag

and an IKEA plastic bag holder, however there have been reports of Guinea pig fatalities using this unless you take steps to stop them getting their head stuck in it

However the Hay pile seems to work the best.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:26 pm

I like the pattern on the starry hay bag. Very cute

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:51 pm

I'm a day late and a dollar short here, but none of my 4 piggies will touch hay from the racks or feeders. They just prefer a pile of it in their cage. They eat the pile down and then lay down in it. They'll nibble on it off and on and I add to it periodically during the day so that they get the unlimited amount that is recommended. The downside is that their cages have to be cleaned more often (every third day at minimum) and quite a bit goes to waste. Using fleece bedding over wooden horse stall pellets makes things easier and less expensive.