New Guinea Pig Owner - Best economic bedding?

CuteGuineas

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:53 pm

After four (happy) weeks now of having guinea pigs, I think I am ready to get fleece bedding for them. I have been diligent about spot cleaning every day and changing out all the bedding and cleaning once a week or so, for both their sake and mine; but that means we go through tons of bedding. So I think it will be both cleaner and cheaper in the long run to switch to fleece. I don't really have either the time or know-how to sew them, so I am going to invest in a couple of the more highly reviewed fleece beddings on Amazon.

Anyone have any recommendations? I most likely have it narrowed down to either the GuineaDad fleece or the Small Pets and Company fleece. Anyone have experience with either? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06WVN69 ... op?ie=UTF8

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:06 pm

If you're just trying fleece out, you could just use flat pieces of fleece, possibly weighed down with bricks. That way, if you like it, you can then get some fancier fleece. If you don't, you're not out much money, and can try something else.

I never used anything but cheap fleece blankets or pieces of fleece from a fabric store.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:22 am

Ditto bpatters. When I was using fleece, I bought it anywhere I could get a good deal on it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:39 am

Also consider one of the companies/people who help support Guinea Lynx. They are all very well-regarded, make super products, and have been doing this for many years!

www.guinealynx.info/fun.html

CuteGuineas

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:45 am

Thanks, I will check those out. I see they make some cute soft beds, too; I bet my pigs would love them.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:29 pm

Also, a related question: What is a good way to protect the floor during exercise time? I have a large pen (and it's expandable, so I might buy another section and make it larger) which I set up in my vinyl-floored kitchen with some chew toys, paper bags, tunnels, etc. I have let them out a number of times to exercise this way, and they often leave a little puddle which I clean up right away, but yesterday there was a LOT of pee and droppings. Even after cleaning with vinegar, I don't really want that on my kitchen floor (especially the pee). Maybe put down a bunch of cheap fleeces?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:30 pm

I used an old blanket.

samim21

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:47 pm

We do floor time on a blanket over carpet. We have hardwood floors, so we can't just let them run around or they will stain it and I won't get my deposit back LOL!

If you are on linoleum, I would think a blanket would do the trick. Or a beach towel. You can get a huge blanket on amazon for like $20. (or a bunch of small fleeces at Walmart for $4 each).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 pm

I was looking at the pet bedding that Rabbit Hole carries:
https://www.rabbitholehay.com/products/ ... 3402094918
I love their hay, but that's pretty steep for bedding. I was trying to compare it to the Kaytee "comfort" bedding that I currently buy, but my tired brain is not able to figure out if they cover the same amount of space.

Kaytee also makes a 'natural' version of their bleached bedding, but the texture is completely different. I use the 'natural' stuff for our hamster and actually like it better than the bleached product, but it's pricier and the white bedding makes it easier to see if anybody is peeing blood (one of ours in particular is prone to UTIs).

Mizz P

Post   » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:20 am

I got my g.p. about 9 months ago and after a lot of trial and error with various options I have finally "dialed in" using fleece bedding. To protect the floor under a 2 x 4 C cage, I use an inexpensive table pad that has vinyl on one side (that faces up) and some kind of fluffy material (that faces down) that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond and have trimmed to fit. I then cover that vinyl table pad completely with bath towels (inexpensive and bought at Ross) folded in half. In the heavy pee areas I then add strategically placed microfiber towels (again, inexpensive bought at Ross), and then cover the whole shootin' match with fleece. My local JoAnn Fabrics usually has discounted fleece blanket sets at the back of the store. I buy these and wash them a few times and each blanket will make two appropriately sized pieces that I sew together to make one big cover for the bottom of the cage. It's July and I just bought some with reindeer on them so we'll be ready for the holidays. Once you've made the "investment" in these basic materials (I have enough so I always have one set in use and one set ready to go) you don't have to use nearly as much paper or shavings (I use the crumbled paper only in the kitchen area).

I have a separate hand-held vacuum to clean up poop. About every 5 or 6 days I comb up all the hay that's been tossed out of the kitchen area, vacuum any leftover poop, take the fleece outside and shake it out to get as much hair out as possible. I put the towels and fleece in my front-load washer that has a pre-wash setting. That gets the worst of the pee out before the "real" wash cycle. I run a long wash cycle with warm water. For some reason, hot water seemed to result in residual pee smell. Sometimes I bleach, sometimes I use borax, always use vinegar in the rinse water. As I say, it's taken a while to come up with a system that works well for me.

rapchef2

Post   » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:17 pm

For floor time, we use bed pads to prevent pee from getting on the floor.