Does anyone check on guinea pigs in rescue?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:28 am

I'll go back and check again tomorrow just in case they were being checked out by the vet or something. Their cage hadn't been cleared out yet and their placards were still there.

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:59 pm

For bedding, could you potentially donate some fleece to them? If they have the capability to wash it, it would provide a lot of piggies more comfort.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:19 pm

I actually have a ton of fleece, but I doubt they would use it. I can donate paper bedding. The problem is that they use the same bedding for the rabbits, who get more resources than the guinea pigs. There's currently 20 or more rabbits there. They always get a big influx of them for the several months after Easter. People get bunnies for their kids and once they figure out how much work it is, they get dumped at the humane society. It's really a shame. There ought to be a law.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:23 pm

It would be nice if you could sponsor a cage for certain types of animals. Our Humane Society takes Kennel sponsorship but I don’t know if it’s just critters in general or certain small pets. Cats and dogs have their own space but critters are in a separate room.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:32 am

Our Humane Society doesn't do sponsorship. I'll just have to keep donating hay and pellets. I checked on Foxy and Banana today and they're doing well. Still wishing I could adopt them, but with 4 boars, I just can't.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:06 pm

I do the same thing with donations. A liquidation store had lots of pet foods and supplies at a discount so I bought a bunch of dog, cat, and guinea pig supplies to donate. It’s a good excuse to shop for bargains!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:43 am

It's also a good excuse to go see the guinea pigs! I've been there enough times checking on Foxy and Banana that they perk up when I walk into the small animal room. I think they expect to come home with me one of these times. It kills me that I can't. 6 guinea pigs and a mixture of unaltered boars and sows is just asking for disaster. So I'll keep the visits and donations coming.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:15 am

You just need a bigger house!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:10 am

Right! I wouldn't have a problem having 6 guinea pigs if I had a bigger place. It's the mixture of unaltered boars and sows. It'd be just my luck that they'd find a way to get together despite my best efforts to avoid it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Love finds a way. ;)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:53 pm

Murphy's law is very clear on this 😋. Meanwhile, Foxy and Banana are still at the Humane Society. I couldn't go into the room to visit them today because they were doing an introduction with one of the rabbits and a potential adopter. I watched them through the glass and they were pretty active. I'll take them some treats tomorrow.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:00 pm

I went to see Foxy and Banana today and brought them some toy snacks in the form of Oxbow timothy hay twists. They were happy to see me and let me get quick photos. There was a new little girl named Pearl there too but she was way too shy to do more than poke her nose out of the hidey and wheek when she heard the package rustle. I managed to get a timothy twist by the opening which she drug into the hidey. She's very small, so I bet she's only a few months old. Hopefully she'll warm up to me.

Foxy

Banana