Does anyone check on guinea pigs in rescue?

CleoCharity

Post   » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:26 pm

The shelter where I got my pigs currently has 31 guinea pigs (Mspca at Nevin's Farm if anyone in my area is looking for another pig). They normally only have two or three, but they all of a sudden got about 35 more, so I assume that this must have been a breeder or pet store that went out of business, or a hoarding case. I really hope that they didn't come from a terrible situation, but with that number of pigs (it was once 40, but some got adopted), they probably didn't have the best living conditions. It makes me so upset to see pigs who haven't been treated well, but it's good that there are shelters who are willing and able to take in pigs who need it.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:28 pm

https://nevadahumanesociety.org/adopt-a ... l-animals/

So I've been watching the humane society again and they had to separate the two male albino guinea pigs they had because they started fighting. One of them got adopted and the other one in the listing I linked to is still there. He's been there for a month and his eyes look very saggy (you can't tell from the picture).

They also had him in one of those tall cages that are more for a ferret with the wire ramp to the upper level exposed. I grabbed a passing tech and had them remove it. I explained about how their little feet can get caught in there and cause injury. I also asked about his saggy eyes. She looked at his chart and the vet had noted that they weren't anything life threatening and he was being given drops for them. He was pretty active and although it took some coaxing, he came up to the side of his cage for some hand nibbling. He got his fill of that and went to his hay for a snack.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:49 pm

Hmmmm, sounds like he'd make a snugly companion ;-)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:06 pm

If he's there when I get back from my trip (leaving on the 20th and returning on the 5th), he's going to be coming home with me.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:28 pm

We've been checking The Animal Protective Assoc. of Am. & Humane Society for about a week and we've only seen 3 females. Seems like they came & went in about 1-2 days. We just couldn't get there in time. Still checking.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:01 pm

Petco sponsors pet adoptions and they get guinea pigs from time to time. A couple of weeks ago, they had a pair of jet black female piggies up for adoption. They were supposedly sisters and about 2 years old. If they had been males, I would have adopted them. For those who haven't seen a lot of what I post on this forum, I don't have anything against female guinea pigs. It's just that I have 3 males and I don't want to run any risk of letting them breed. They always find a way no matter what measures we take to prevent it.

There's spaying and neutering, but the cost of having all 3 of my boys done is prohibitive. Also, I'm very apprehensive about surgery on my pets unless it's to save their lives. It's just easier and better for me to have just males or just females. As it were, I wasn't given the choice, since my wife and granddaughter picked out Mr Bubbles without telling me they were doing it. It turned out to be the best thing to happen to me.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:29 pm

We're in the same situation only with females.

Yesterday morning we saw a listing for a female at the Humane Society. Snow was forecast for the afternoon but hadn't started, so we set off around noon -opening time - and got there at about 12:30. They were just closing for the snow & didn't have time to take care of the adoption. Well, we got back to the car and yes, the snow had just started. Within ~5 min. the roads were iffy and after 10 min. it was bad. Daughter was driving, took it real slow and we got home ok. I'm not sure it was one of my best decisions. It's snowing right now so today's not an option. Maybe tomorrow...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:44 pm

Well, I hope your stopping by put you at the top of the list!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:29 am

Barry Jenkins is still there at the Humane Society. It's tough to resist the urge to go and pick him up. I don't think it would be right to do that before my holiday travel. I'd need to be there every day for him to bond with me. With Sammy and Dean, it took a couple of months before we bonded enough to be able to leave them in the care of family. I'll take it as a sign of fate and adopt him if he's still there when I get home.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:22 pm

I hope he is. I know how it is when you see a pig & you just have to have it.

Unfortunately they don't keep lists, Lynx. But the roads are clear and I got there at 12:00 when they opened and got her - Emma! She's supposedly 8 mos. but is small and acts younger. She doesn't seem to be very afraid. She comes out of her hidey (she's in quarantine) to eat hay while we're watching. She's tan, black & white - adorable, but we'd think any pig was adorable.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Oh, yay! So glad you were able to get the little girl. Pictures, please!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:56 pm

I don't know how to send pics anymore. I can send them in an email attachment from my phone, but I don't know how to size them.