Pigeon/Owl-ish Sounds?

BigMoufPosy

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:24 pm

Hey all - not sure if this is a cause for concern, but recently I've woken up to my female piggie Buffet making sounds like a pigeon - kind of cooing, but almost like breathing issues?

She seems otherwise perfectly healthy, active, and always eating, and the kicker I've never noticed her making this sound during the day - only in the middle of the night! She seemed fine the morning after so we didn't really think anything of it, but last night my girlfriend also recently woke up to Buffet making these sounds. But again, aside from that, Buffet doesn't seem to have any issues at all. Is she part owl?

I'm currently watching her eat her hay with gusto, and as soon as she hears the fridge door she'll come running and wheeking like any happy piggie. As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong, but I can't be sure. What do you think? I've included a video of Buffet as well here (recorded almost a month ago) - I gave her a treat to eat in this video, but she was making this sound when not eating too.

(check out 11 seconds in for some really clear sounds)

Thanks in advance!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:04 pm

I can't really hear it on my computer. Some guinea pigs make bird-like chirping sounds, but we're not entirely sure why. See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/behavior.html#chirping

If you continue to hear it and it is accompanied by any symptoms that would suggest an upper respiratory infection, I'd have her checked out by a knowledgeable vet. See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html

Heart issues can mimic a URI and often present with a hooting sound:
https://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:23 pm

I can't hear it either, but sef has given you the links to hooting, which is probably the only thing to worry about. Chirping is normal.

BigMoufPosy

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:29 pm

Thanks for the links and info. I found a video on YouTube of another guinea pig which sounds exactly like what Buffet is doing.

Hopefully this is clearer. Is this the hooting that might be an issue? Any reason why Buffet is perfectly fine during the day, but only does this at night? She's not lethargic at all and is super active and has a good appetite.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: By the way, I realize now that this might be more appropriate in the medical forum - apologies if that's the case. Is the thread able to be moved?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:59 am

Occasional hooting noises can be caused by dusty hay or some other irritant in the guinea pig's environment, but if it's a fairly regular sound, I'd have the vet rule out URI or heart issues as mentioned before. I did have a guinea pig who made a similar noise on a fairly regular basis, but he had unusually narrow nasal passages. As to why this only happens with Buffet at night, I don't really have a theory.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:11 pm

Mine did that a few times. I came down early in the morning and she was sitting making a “who-who-who” sound as she was breathing. Then she’d cough once and go eat. I think it was fine pieces of hay that she was eating during the night. Scared the heck out of me. Now she hasn’t done that for months.

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:12 pm

One of ours used to make the same noise when they all had breathing issues.
Check for dust from Pellets and Hay as well as checking for any Ammonia buildup under hideys or blankets.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Keep the cage as clean as it can be until this problem goes away. If it doesn’t disappear over enough time, it might give you some peace of mind to ask a vet about that. If there are any other telltale signs of a URI, let us know.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:25 am

Mine makes this exact same noise!! Often even more exaggerated, also only in the middle of the night or very early morning (5am-ish). I just had his head and chest X-rayed because I’m a total hypochondriac when it comes to my pets. There was nothing wrong with him and the (very experienced/knowledgeable) vet said people bring her a lot of videos but she had never heard a guinea pig make those noises before.

He also coughs and then goes back about his business. I have chalked it up to voracious eating and hay stuck in his throat as well. I’m so relieved to see/hear others experiencing the same thing.

Thank you for posting!!