ISO water bottle cleaning tips

Gessika

Post   » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:55 pm

Any tips for getting the "flat-bac" water bottles clean? The dumb grooves get dirty making the bottles hard to clean well. Sometimes I've been able to do a good job by putting uncooked rice in the bottle with hot, soapy water and shaking it hard, but that's not quite cutting it for one of my bottles.

I just bought a new, glass bottle and will switch to it if I can't get this one cleaned well.

Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:28 pm

Depending on what your water is like and what you are seeing, bleach or vinegar could help.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:56 pm

Have you tried a bottle brush?

I personally prefer the glass water bottles.

Gessika

Post   » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:47 pm

I don't have a brush small enough to get into the opening of the bottle, but I think I'm going to probably switch to glass even though I've had a hard time getting the round glass bottles to stay put up against the side of the cages.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:21 am

Put the glass bottles on the outside of the cages with the spout sticking through. You can snug them up to the cage with bungee cords. Just don't run the cord through the cage, because the pigs will chew it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:36 am

Not sure what kind of cage you have, but if it's a Midwest Habitat, you can attach the bottle on the outside as bpatters suggested, and I've found that mounting it on the rungs of the panels with the ramp (on either or both ends--if that makes sense) gives it a better height than if you mount it on one of the regular cross-bars.

Gessika

Post   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:11 pm

I have C&C cages. Thanks for the tips!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:04 am

I have more trouble with leaking water bottles than I do cleaning them. I just replace them with new ones when they leak.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:43 pm

I don't remember where I found this tip, but I love it because it gets the gunk that accumulates on the "ceiling" of the bottle where a brush can't go (the horizontal bit surrounding the bottle mouth) and you can use it on glass or plastic.

I rinse them out really good and then put about a tablespoon of dry rice inside the bottle. Then I screw on the lid and shake it like crazy. The dry grains rub off the gunk that I can't reach. Then I dump the rice and rinse once more before filling with fresh water. Works every time!

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Mr RS accidentally bought me a bottle brush that has a spongey bit on the top. It needs a good shove to get in the neck but does a good job getting all the corners. Just your standard baby bottle brush.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:46 pm

My advice is to get hot rice and water in there. Uncooked rice and piping hot water and give it a good shake. Also if the bottle is plastic you’re going to want to put some gloves on to avoid burning your hands. That’s how I clean my water bottles when I go camping and it works every time.