Friends to foes

poki99

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:35 pm

I've had my guinea pigs for going on 4 weeks. Two baby females purchased together. During the first couple weeks they were close. They slept together etc. One was thin and very shy but now she has put on weight and is being very dominant. Every time the other piggy gets veggies, she goes out of her way to steal it away. Shes also kicked the other piggie out of their shared hideout. Now they sleep separately (different hide outs). It's nothing too concerning as the other piggie is submissive and will back down when issues arise. I am just surprised by the change in behavior. I'm sad they seem to not be friendly anymore like they were. I thought they were sisters bc of same size, purchased together, etc... But maybe not. Is this just a phase?

poki99

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:41 pm

Here's a pic when we first got them-

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:12 pm

Very few guinea pig cagemates sleep together. In 10 years of owning guinea pigs, I've never had two that cuddled unless they were in the carrier on the way to the vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:17 pm

Make sure you have a large cage and two of everything. And weigh each of them weekly so you have an indicator of problems (illness or food hoarding).