New Baby

rosemarykw

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:20 pm

My guinea pig just gave birth to one this morning. How soon after it is born can you pick it up? I know I need to clean the cage tomorrow so should I wait till then?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:32 pm

You can gently pick up a pup right away. Be sure to have good food available at all times for the mom and pup.

rosemarykw

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:59 pm

Thank you. We are already giving more food. The cage mate Myrtile is doing so well with them too. She needs extra food too as she has lost some weight. I am hoping it’s a girl then I can keep her but if it’s a boy I have already found a good home. I don’t have space to keep the boy unfortunately.

JX4

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 pm

If your home for the possible boy falls through, you could have him neutered. Then he could live with his mom.

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:36 am

You should be picking up the baby daily to weigh it. That's the only way to determine if it is growing and thriving properly. Do you know how the pig got pregnant? Preventing another pregnancy is very important. Momma and baby need some type of alfalfa to eat for proper nutrition (either in the form of hay or pellets). It should be provided until the baby is at least 6 months old.

You need to be weighing momma pig too, to make sure she suffers no complications.

rosemarykw

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Well some how she got pregnant at the breeders as I have a male who has been sterilized for two years. Plus he does not like other piggies(due to the fact he was found in garbage bin with other piggies). It would have been just before I got her. They were really good when I told them. They never denied it. And could not apologize enough. Plus I have bought from them before. Always healthy piggies. Her cage mate is a sterilized female. I will weigh them everyday. The baby is running around and pop-corning. And eating solid food. I have looked 99% sure it's s a girl. I will find out next week when I take mum and baby to the vet. Thanks everyone for the advice

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:22 am

The baby is eating solid food at 3 days old?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:51 am

I understand pups can eat solid food very soon.

rosemarykw

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:11 am

With in the first 24hrs she was eating solid food. She is so active and running around.

SaintKidding

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Our Coco had pups in October. She was pregnant when we got her. They started nibbling solid food on day two. We have handled them every day and they are becoming very tame.