guinea pig dominence behavior

citten

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi all! First time posting to this forum, but I have been on it for months getting all the information needed to make sure my little pigs are all good!

I finally decided to start a post after I was unable to find information specific to one of my female guinea pigs. I have read up on normal dominance behaviors and my girls seem to be in line with the norm, however my more timid pig started doing something a big weird. I noticed that when she would start her dominance routine that her vagina will swell quite a bit. It only last a few moments and then all back to normal. Sometimes she will spray (which I have read is normal), but usually it's just the quick swelling as she charges.

I have never seen my other girl do this. When they were 3 months old the vet did seems to have a hard time sexing her, but ultimately decided they were both female (hopefully!). They are now 9 months old and still have their spats here and there, but in general seems to have a great little friendship. Has anyone else seen anything like this? I have a feeling it's normal behavior, but since I can't find anything I wanted to start a discussion about it.

Thanks for the help!
Katie (human), Mim, and Pache.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/17383211@ ... 245163468/

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:48 pm

She's in heat, which is causing the dominance behavior, not the other way around.

Spraying urine is not necessarily related to being in heat. Sows spray at just about any provocation. She just may be spraying a little more than usual because she's got PMS.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:23 pm

An unusual picture. I don't recall my sow looking like that when she was in heat. I encourage you to double check the sex too.
www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:29 pm

Yeah, I just now noticed the picture. Turn them both over and compare their private parts. One may be male.

citten

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:12 pm

I am pretty sure she is a female. Because of the vet taking extra time to sex her I had been on alert and kept checking for myself. Ultimately I decided she was female based on pictures, but also wondered if she could be a hermaphrodite?! Not sure if that can even happen, but in all seriousness I do wonder because when comparing my girls they do look different, but not like a male. I also think there would be a pregnancy by now if she was a he. Now I'm wondering if I should be more worried about it being unhealthy since no one else has seen this. If you follow the link above the picture there is a video of it happening as well. Thanks again!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:32 am

Yes, they can have ambiguous genitalia, just like any other species. And if so, it's not so surprising that she's not pregnant even if the other is male.

It would help if you could take well-lit, close-up pictures and post them. Also see http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm to see if that clears anything up.

The video doesn't work.