Fleece or Flippers?

lflores1189

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:50 am

Has anyone used both flippers and regular fleece liners? Before making the investment I’d like to hear from others on their preferences. I did buy the plastic inserts for the flippers but I haven’t gotten the cases or absorbant liners yet. I was all set on the flippers, but now I’m having second thoughts. I appreciate all honest reviews and opinions. Thank you so much!

lisam

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:44 pm

I've used both. I didn't like the flippers, mainly because getting the inserts and lining into the fleece was somewhat of a pain.

But then I also have trouble getting my pillow in a pillowcase.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:11 pm

Ha! I do a lot of shaking to get that pillow in the case!

JX4

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:12 am

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

The flippers:
Disadvantages: hard to get things in like a pillow case, mentioned above; and poo and stuff falls into the cracks between the flippers
Advantages: Can change out panels where the pee is most concentrated without changing the whole cage, can vacuum up poo pellets easily because the fleece is snug against the boards, piggies can't burrow underneath them

Fleece liners:
Disadvantages: Harder to vacuum poo pellets because the vacuum sucks up the fleece as well as the poo; poo and stuff falls between cracks along sides, piggies can burrow underneath the liners; for very large cages the liners are fairly unwieldy
Advantages: one liner that you can just toss in the washer instead of dismantling all the flippers

The above is based on our experience with both liners and flippers for a a 2 x 5 grid cage. We now have a 2 x 8 grid cage and didn't get any liners but just use flippers for it.

Zaphy

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:06 pm

I use both! I made my own stuff so I'm not sure if my flippers are different than the regular ones but I don't really struggle with getting the insert into the flipper. I like flippers/liners for different things. I have an L-shaped cage, so I use two different liners for each side of the L which makes a seam at the middle. The flipper goes over the seam to prevent burrowing, and also to help pin the liner down so it's easy to sweep/vacuum up poops without pulling up the liner. I weigh the flipper down by putting the water station on top of it. I have one of those big plastic containers at the other end with some doorways cut into it for a litterbox/hay area, which helps to pin it down on the other end. Works great!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:44 am

I used both. I never liked the flippers. The debris, even after vacuuming, sticks to the bottom of the cage relentlessly.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:10 am

I've used both. I find the flippers easier in the smaller cage (2X6) but when I had them on the floor in a 5X5 cage, I just fastened the fleece liners to the edges and when it was time for clean-up, I'd carefully lift a side or a corner and shake it so the poops rolled to the center. That wouldn't work so well now, since I can't seem to keep Fuzzbutt clean. She still makes a mess now and then, and seems to always be able to find something to step in leaving her with poop-shoes. I have to wash her feet daily now.