double decker C&C

autumn

Post   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:18 pm

This weekend I redid my cages and built a double decker C&C (2 x 3 grid). Has anyone else done this? The top cage opens on top and the bottom cage opens by swinging down the whole front set of grids. Still need to save up to get the coroplast for the top cage but that's where the female is and she's not a digger so an extra thick fleece blanket is working well on the bottom for now.

These guys upgraded from a pet store cage when i brought them home and were separated as the "brothers" turned out to be a brother/sister pair. They weren't sure what to make of the space but after a week here now they're settled in good and love it. The male is much more active and animated often doing laps and popcorning around his cage. The female has been checking hers out but at a slower pace. :)

I wanted to add a pic but can't figure out how to upload one. Does anyone know?

lisam

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:15 pm

autumn

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:27 pm

Thanks, that stinks, but good to know.

lisam

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:31 pm

What stinks?

careydimple33

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:11 am

Ooooh this sounds like the exact cage I'd like to make for two piggies! Could you explain how you set up the opening tops? Thanks so much!

autumn

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 pm

For the top cage... I first made sure I could comfortably reach all around the cage from the top and I could, so I zip tied the back row of grids for the top. For the front row of the lid I zip tied the grids together the full length of the cage first, then loosely zip tied the back edge of those to the back row of the lid. Where it folds down (to close) and meets the front side of the cage, I just used binder clips to hold it closed. The clips make it easy to open and access.

For the bottom cage, since the lid on that one was the base of the top cage, I made the front side able to flip down using the same technique as above. The binder clips on that are in the same area, where to top of that side meets the "lid".

I saw the idea on YouTube (by Blue Stone Cages), but he took it one step further on the top cage which I found unnecessary (for me personally).