Fleas?

itsmollydempsey

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:41 pm

I have two guinea pigs, two cats, and a dog. My cats and dog are regularly treated with a flea prevention; however, all three of them still ended up with fleas. I am in the processing of treating both these pets and my home. My guinea pigs are in a C&C cage with no top. I do a full cage clean twice a week.

I am wondering if there is a possibility that the guinea pigs also have fleas. I've tried looking for the actual fleas on them, but my guinea pigs are both young and do not like to sit still. How can I treat them if they do? I have flea shampoo that is made for cats/dogs, but I am worried that I should not use it on the guinea pigs.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:50 pm

You're right not to use the cat and dog shampoo on the guinea pigs.

If they have fleas, you'll see tiny black specks on them. If you put some of those specks on a white surface, like a paper towel, and drop a little water on them, they'll turn red -- they're dried blood.

If your pigs don't have those, they likely don't have fleas, but keep watching carefully.

If the flea prevention for your cats and dog isn't working, you need to treat the yard and house as well. If you don't get rid of them everywhere at the same time, you're just throwing good money and effort after bad, and will never get them cleared up.

itsmollydempsey

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks! We are using a different flea prevention for the cats and dog, as well as the shampoo, now that we saw the previous one wasn't working, and we are treating the house as well. I just wasn't sure what to do about the guinea pigs if anything at all.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:29 pm

I put some water with a drop of dish washing detergent in a shallow bowl and put a light above it. The white pie plate works best because you can see them after the warmth of the light draws the fleas, which jump into the water and drown. If you set this up in your guinea pig room near the cage, maybe you will be able to tell if they have fleas - and catch some.