Introducing a third guinea pig

Islandgirl240

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:52 am

I adopted 2 female guinea pigs a few months ago. They were about 5 weeks old and sisters. They are still very skittish. They usually will hide during the day but I have noticed that they will come out during the night to explore. One will sit on our lap and eat and the other one still seems really scared to be out in the open. She makes a purring noise, we aren’t sure if she is irritated or happy?

I was wondering if adding a third guinea would help or hurt their progress. Or is it a bad idea to introduce a third? I have a 2 x 5 cage with a 2 x 2 upper loft. We had originally thought about getting 3 but now we are unsure as we don’t want to cause additional stress. We have enough extras to make another large cage. Thanks!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:11 am

They sound like they're doing fine. Some pigs are just more skittish than others.

Three sows usually get along pretty well together, but only add another pig if you want another pig, not because you think it will help or hinder anything your two have going.

Islandgirl240

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. We saw a piggie at a shelter the other day but wanted opinions first.