Neutering my male guinea pigs.

usi2015

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Hello, everyone!

I have two male guinea pigs that I am looking to get neutered, but it's outrageously expensive where I live (Indiana). 500$ for each, and I don't have 1000$ just laying around.

I really want to add females someday, and have a herd. They are very social creatures, and I have a huge habitat that I have built from scratch.

Are there surrounding states that are cheaper where I can go, or if anyone knows of somewhere in Indiana?

I could really use the resources.

Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:55 pm

I would start by contacting guinea pig rescues and shelters that have guinea pigs. Sometimes they routinely neuter their males and females and may be able to recommend a vet.

JX4

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:17 am

First, if you want to neuter your males so they can live together with females, that won't work, because they will still fight each other over the females. If you plan to house one neutered male with female(s), and the other neutered male with other females, then that would work.

Second, if you go through with your plan to neuter, do make sure it is done by a vet that has done lots of guinea pig neuterings. It is not without risk.