Adopted a recently neutered boar, no guidance from shelter

FrogPrincess525

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:09 pm

We just adopted a boar today (Saturday) that was neutered on Wednesday. We adopted him to be a new companion for our older boar who lost his friend last week and hasn't been the same since. The concern I have is that the shelter didn't give us any guidance about caring for him post-op. They did tell us that his companion did not survive the surgery and that he was also a little depressed. (Honestly, I'm not sure the shelter really understood what they were doing neutering guinea pigs as they are primarily a dog/cat place but we're past that point.)

Anyway, I am hoping I can get guidance on here for if there is anything I need to keep an eye out for since we are past the 24, 48, and 60 hour marks mentioned in most of the post-op articles I'm finding. When he would be able to be introduced to our current boar, we are going to have an adjustment/quarantine period anyway but do we need to wait until the site is healed? I'm also hoping these are the kind of stitches that will dissolve.

I was so confident about doing introductions and everything until I saw the surgery site when we got home (we weren't allowed to pick him up there) and now my confidence is wavering. He is super cute though and looks like a toasted marshmallow.

JX4

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:02 pm

I have no idea why they neutered your guinea pig, because it is not necessary unless he is to be housed with females. Ugh.

We did neuter our boar because he is housed with females. You need to watch the site very carefully. Complications are common, and they can be life-threatening. If there is any swelling take him to a guinea pig savvy vet, not a vet that primarily sees dogs and cats. Take him to a vet that is very, very experienced with guinea pigs. The way to find one of those is to look at the vet recommendations on this forum for your area. If your area is not listed, you can call around and ask "Which vet do you recommend as having the MOST EXPERIENCE with guinea pigs?" Do not ask if they have experience, because that could mean "I saw one once 12 years ago." Ask for who they know that has the MOST experience.

Our guy developed a hematoma that had to be removed surgically about a week or so after the initial operation. It looked like the vet missed a testicle, but it was a hematoma. I'd wait to put him with the other boar until he is healed well enough that he is not likely to have it get ripped open again.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:02 pm

Here's some general post-op advice: https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html.

I'd definitely wait until he's well healed for the introductions. There'll be a lot of activity, and you don't want the incision to come open.

Have you read this? http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Don't rush introductions. Do it at a time when you've got hours to give to it, if necessary.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:46 pm

The postop page above has a section specifically about neuters that will help you prevent infection so do read it closely.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:41 am

The post-op instructions here on Guinea Lynx are excellent. I wasn't aware of them when I had my boars neutered, but referred to them constantly when I had my sow spayed. You can feel confident if you follow them exactly.

Don't hesitate to take them to a real guinea pig savvy vet if you feel you need to. The reassurance you will get will help YOU tremendously.

FrogPrincess525

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:01 am

I'm going to be calling our vet tomorrow and trying to get him in asap cause I feel like it just doesn't look quite right to me. It's not as neat looking as I'd expect and it's scabbed over like it had been bleeding and not cleaned. It's not little cuts by where his testicles used to be but a large cut on his belly like I'd expect with a spay. He also seems very sensitive in the area. I was going to take him in for an initial check anyway, so I'll just do it sooner to make sure everything is ok.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:14 am

There is more than one technique used to neuter a boar so incisions may not be where you expect them. The tenderness could certainly be an indication something else is going on.

JX4

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Does your vet have a lot of experience with guinea pigs? I made the mistake of taking our boar to our regular vet we'd been going to for years for our dogs and cat. Let's just say it wasn't a good experience. We really liked our vet for our dogs and cats, but you do really need a guinea pig savy vet for your guinea pigs.

FrogPrincess525

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:37 pm

Lynx, thanks. I didn't know there were other methods. My husband looked it up too.
The vet is scheduled for first thing Friday morning. They are very good with guinea pigs and knowledgeable. If anyone is in South Eastern Virginia I absolutely would recommend them.